LOCAL DISTRICT CLASSIFICATION PLAN CLASS TITLE: BUS DRIVERBASIC FUNCTION:
Operate a school bus over designated routes in accordance with time schedules, picking up and discharging students; provide safe and efficient transportation for District students to and from school, special events and field trips; perform daily inspections and operator maintenance of vehicle; assist in the loading and unloading of physically and mentally handicapped students as necessary.REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
- Drive a school bus over designated routes in accordance with specified time schedules and in accordance with regulations and laws related to pupil transportation in the State following specified schedules; transport students to and from school, special events and field trips.
- Pick up and discharge students, under varying weather conditions, at established bus stops; report incidents which affect the safety of students.
- Maintain bus in a safe operating condition through prescribed daily vehicle inspections and driver maintenance including cleaning windows, mirrors and bus interior; check and maintain fuel, oil and water levels; check brakes, brake lights and doors; report mechanical defects and malfunctions to appropriate personnel.
- Maintain order and discipline among students on bus following District policies and procedures regarding disciplining of students and contact with school officials, parents and the public; interact with parents regarding questions, concerns and disputes.
- Perform emergency bus evacuation drills as required by Kentucky Administration Regulations.
- Transport physically handicapped and mentally handicapped children to and from designated locations; lift and secure wheel chairs; assist in the loading and unloading of handicapped children as necessary.
- Observe applicable local, State and federal policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Fuel and clean exterior and interior of buses including picking up debris, sweeping and
mopping floor, wiping upholstery and cleaning headlights.
- Maintain records concerning vehicle maintenance, miles driven and number of children
transported and other related matters; prepare student conduct, incident and accident
- Attend safety and preventive emergency meetings when required.
- Utilize two-way radio for bus to bus and bus to base communication.
- Perform first aid according to established guidelines and procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Safe driving practices.
- Provisions of the State Motor Vehicle code and Kentucky Administration Regulations
applicable to the operation of vehicles transporting students.
- First aid practices.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Operate a school bus over designated routes in accordance with time schedules, picking up and discharging students.
- Maintain order and discipline among students while driving a school bus.
- Maintain assigned vehicle in a clean and safe operating condition.
- Recognize equipment malfunctions and take appropriate action.
- Learn designated bus routes including stops and traffic hazards.
- Maintain routine records.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Learn, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Assist in loading and unloading handicapped children as necessary.
Any combination equivalent to: high school diploma, G.E.D. Certificate or demonstrated progress toward obtaining a G.E.D. as required by Kentucky law and one year experience in the operation of a motor vehicle.LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Kentucky Commercial Class B driver's license, including passenger endorsement; School Bus Certificate; must pass driving record check.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Support Staff > Transportation Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Scott Wells
- 871 Wilmore Rd.
- Nicholasville, Kentucky 40356