LOCAL DISTRICT CLASSIFICATION PLAN CLASS TITLE: INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANTBASIC FUNCTION:
Assist a certificated teacher in providing instruction to individual or small groups; monitors and report student progress.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS:
Instructional Assistant I incumbents assist a certificated teacher by performing a variety of support functions in a regular classroom setting. Instructional Assistant II incumbents work within a complex program typically requiring additional skills and characterized by increased independence of action.REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
- Tutor individuals or small groups of students, reinforcing and implementing instruction as directed by the teacher; maintain records of student progress.
- Participate as member of an instructional team including remediation teams.
- Prepare and organize lessons as directed by the teacher; administer and score a
variety of tests according to established guidelines; assist in determining English
proficiency of identified students.
- Assist in administering diagnostic and other tests; score and record test information.
- Monitor and report behavior of students according to approved procedures; report
progress regarding student performance and behavior; check and assist students with
lab work as necessary.
- Perform routine clerical duties such as preparation of instructional and classroom
materials; operate copy machines; maintain classroom records; maintain attendance
- Provide support to the teacher by setting up work areas, displays and exhibits,
operating audio-visual equipment, operating educational training equipment and
distributing and collecting paper and supplies.
- Assist in overseeing students while in labs; provide for supplies inventory as
- Assist students by providing proper examples, emotional support, a friendly attitude
and general guidance.
- Confer, as needed, with teachers concerning programs and materials to meet student
- Contact parents of students who are absent; make home visits as necessary.
- Assure the health and safety of students by following health and safety practices and
- Direct group activities of students as assigned; assist in monitoring lunchroom and
playground activities as assigned; assist in emergency drills, assemblies, play periods
and field trips.
- Participate in meetings and in-service training programs as assigned.
- Basic subjects taught in the District schools, including arithmetic, grammar, spelling, language and reading.
- Safe practices in classroom and playground activities.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Learn child guidance principles and practices.
- Communicate and maintain effective relationships with students, parents, staff and the public including members of ethnic communities.
- Perform routine clerical duties in support of classroom activities.
- Print and write legibly.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Learn procedures, functions and limitations of assigned duties.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Learn to apply and explain policies and procedures related to school and program activities.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Monitor, observe and report students behavior according to approved policies and procedures.
- Operate instructional and office equipment.
Any combination equivalent to: high school diploma and passing of para-educator exam or 64 college semester hours or teacher certification.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Instructional Support > Individual Aide Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Scott Wells
- 871 Wilmore Rd.
- Nicholasville, Kentucky 40356