Clary Middle School
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.JOB DESCRIPTION:
One key strategy the Syracuse City School District is utilizing to close achievement gaps and build the foundational skills and knowledge students need to prepare for college and careers is to hire Secondary Intervention Specialists to provide additional data-driven, differentiated, explicit and systematic instruction to students performing significantly below grade level expectations, especially in the areas of Mathematics and Reading.REPORTS TO:
Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and LearningDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the development, coordination and delivery of the school's math and/or reading intervention program.
- Collaborate with Instructional Coach and classroom teachers for instructional planning and delivery.
- Collect and interpret relevant assessment data to drive instruction.
- Monitor, maintain, and submit as needed, accurate records on student achievement, articulating specific progress and/or concerns.
- Communicate specific student progress to teachers, administrators, and parents as appropriate.
- Prepare and deliver explicit, scientifically based math and/or reading instruction to small groups of students.
- Assist students using software and materials related to math and/or literacy programs.
- Attend professional development as required to enhance knowledge of pedagogy and content, especially math and/or reading.
- Promote and maintain positive pupil-teacher-parent relationships.
- Demonstrate professional work habits.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities related to math and/or literacy as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum of five (5) years of teaching experience, with a strong emphasis implementing a rigorous curriculum in K-12 educational settings.
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- New York State Teaching Certification at the secondary level (required)
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in education, mathematics, literacy or related field preferred. (required)
- Please note that New York State requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 for certification, and one hired, this proof will be kept on file in the Office of Human Resources.
- Once offered, you will be required to declare that all previous obligations with an employing school district have been met and you are not seeking this position with the intent of resigning from a previous commitment in which you have not served.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time will receive an additional stipend.
- Teachers will have opportunities to teach in our Summer School Programs, receiving an hourly rate per the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District's Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please click HERE .
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Teacher Mentor
Student Services > Teacher Mentor Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210