The job of Bus Monitor is done for the purpose/s of providing support within the student transportation services area with specific responsibilities for assisting special education students during transport to and from school and/or special activities; and ensuring the safety and sanitation of assigned vehicles.Direct Supervisor
Transportation SupervisorEssential Functions
• Assists bus drivers and other school employees for the purpose of ensuring passenger safety and timely transportation.
• Assists special education students and other passengers for the purpose of providing safe loading and unloading from buses during normal transport and emergency situations.
• Attends meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions.
• Instructs students for the purpose of enforcing rules/regulations and maintaining student safety and well-being.
• Monitors students with special needs until released to teacher, instructional assistant, parent, etc. for the purpose of ensuring the safe transportation of all passengers.
• Prepares reports (incident reports, passenger misconduct, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, conveying information, and/or complying with established guidelines.
• Reports observations and/or incidents (discipline, accidents, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate personnel for their action.
• Secures students and/or their equipment (restraints, wheel chair tie-downs, seat belts, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the safety and well-being of students. Marginal Functions
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.Competencies
• Skills-based Competencies Required to perform single tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and operating equipment used in transporting special needs students.
• Knowledge-based Competencies Required to perform basic math; understand written procedures, write routine documents, and speak clearly; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: safety practices and procedures; securing special needs devices.
• Ability-based Competencies Required to schedule activities and/or meetings; gather and/or collate data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with similar types of data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; and working as part of a team.Requirements
High school diploma or GED equivalentPhysical Requirements
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Generally the job requires 55% sitting, 10% walking, and 35% standing.Continuing Education/Training
Criminal Justice Fingerprint
State Department of Education medical examinationFair Labor Standards Act
Job Categories: Support Staff > Supervisory Aide
Support Staff > Transportation Equal Opportunity Employer
Clarke County School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Roshanna Griffin
- Athens, Georgia 30603