The job of Bus Driver is done for the purpose/s of providing support within the student transportation services area with specific responsibilities for transporting students over scheduled and special excursion routes; ensuring vehicle operation is in safe operating condition; and ensuring safety of students loading, during transport, and unloading from buses. Persons applying to be a School Bus Driver must obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsement within 30 days of hire.Direct Supervisor
Regular or Special Education SupervisorEssential Functions
• Advises students and other passengers of appropriate behavior for the purpose of reinforcing established guidelines and maintaining passenger safety.
• Assesses a wide variety of situations (incidents, complaints, accidents, emergencies, etc.) for the purpose of resolving and/or recommending a resolution to the situation.
• Assists students and other passengers for the purpose of providing safe loading and unloading from buses during normal transport and emergency situations.
• Attends meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions.
• Cleans assigned vehicles, both interior and exterior for the purpose of ensuring safety, appearance, and sanitation of vehicle.
• Drives various assigned district school buses for the purpose of transporting passengers over scheduled routes to and from school and/or field trips in a safe and timely manner.
• Fuels assigned vehicle (oil, water, fuel, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining vehicle in a safe operating condition.
• Informs other school personnel and parents of events, policies, and/or practices (scheduled stops, established routes, route conditions, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and/or clarification of procedures.
• Monitors students and other passengers during transit for the purpose of ensuring the safe transportation of all passengers.
• Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections (fluid levels, tire pressure, exterior condition, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the safe operating condition of the vehicle and complying with mandated guidelines.
• Prepares a variety of reports (incident reports, inspections records, mileage logs, student counts, routing information, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, conveying information, and/or complying with established guidelines.
• Reports observations and/or incidents (discipline, accidents, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate personnel for their action.
• Responds to inquiries from students, parents, and/or staff for the purpose of providing the necessary information regarding transportation servicesMarginal Functions
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit. Competencies
• Skills-based Competencies Required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; administering first aid; applying pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws; operating district vehicles, fire extinguisher, two-way radio, and standard office equipment; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
• Knowledge-based Competencies Required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and/or ratios; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: emergency evacuation techniques; area streets and locations; basic vehicle maintenance; first aid; health standards and hazards; pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws; safe driving practices; safety practices and procedures; two-way radio communication; utilizing wheelchairs, tie downs, child safety seats, and lifts.
• Ability-based Competencies Required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather and/or collate data; and use jobrelated equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined and similar processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with similar types of data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is moderate to significant. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: being attentive to detail; communicating with diverse groups including school age riders; displaying tact and courtesy; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships; exercising sound judgment; maintaining an understanding of the special needs of students and their parents; maintaining confidentiality; and working with constant distractions. Requirements
High school diploma or GED equivalent
Valid Georgia Commercial Driver's License with S & P endorsementsPhysical Requirements
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Generally the job requires 85% sitting, 10% walking, and 5% standing.
To meet safety requirements, the following physical conditions must be met:
• Strength of the skeletal muscles to manually turn a large diameter steering wheel (20-24 inches) rapidly, to maintain a grip on the steering wheel when confronted with tire failures, when striking potholes, or upon encountering obstructions in the roadway; and ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
• Mobility of joints to reach and manipulate various controls that must be pushed, pulled, or twisted; and to climb, bend, crawl, lift, twist, and turn to position for visual inspection of school bus systems such as tires, brakes, suspensions, and engines.
• Stability of joints and of the torso to maintain alert driving postures to smoothly modulate foot and hand controls after being seated for a continuous and extended period of time, and to climb into and out of the vehicle, and continuously remain seated for an extended period of time.
• Power grasp and precision dexterity of hands and fingers to control a steering wheel without power assistance, and perform various other tasks such as manipulating knobs and switches necessary to operate devices such as light switches, directional signals, horns, and wheelchair lifts.
• Mobility to navigate throughout the bus in order to conduct emergency evacuation and exit through emergency door of bus.Continuing Education/Training
Valid Georgia Commercial Driver's License with S & P endorsementsClearances
Criminal Justice Fingerprint
State Department of Education medical examinationFair Labor Standards Act
Job Category: Support Staff > Transportation Equal Opportunity Employer
Clarke County School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Roshanna Griffin
- Athens, Georgia 30603