Substitute Teachers Prek-12 Position Purpose
To be available to substitute teach in a classroom setting.Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Follow instructional guide outlined in teachers' lesson plans
- Follow class expectations outlined in teachers' lesson plans
- Create and maintain a positive learning environment in the classroom
- Maintain daily attendance and report paperwork to building secretary at the end of the day
- Keep a daily log about the progress of the day and leave it for the regular teacher
- Clean teaching area at the end of the day - put all equipment and materials away
Perform any other tasks that are assigned to the absent teacher on that day (bus duty, study hall, etc)Note:
The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.Travel Requirements
Substitutes for some elementary teachers may have to travel between two schools on any given day. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to follow a lesson plan
- Ability to maintain a positive instructional atmosphere in the classroom
- Ability to organize and coordinate lessons as outlined by the teacher in a gymnasium or classroom setting
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Experience working with children and/or adolescents in activity settings is a plus
- Prefer a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university; those with a major in Education encouraged to apply
All resumes will be screened and selected candidates will participate in an interview processApplication Procedure:
Please apply online: www.generalasp.com/needham/onlineappApplications will be considered only when a cover letter, resume, and one letter of recommendation have been attached to your online application.
The Needham Public Schools does not discriminate against students, parents, employees or the general public on the basis of race, color, sex, homeless status, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or age. In addition to the protected classes identified and in regard to employment practices, the Needham Public Schools also does not discriminate based on genetic information, ancestry or status as a veteran.
The Needham Public School System is a member of METCO, Developing Equity and Achievement for Students (IDEAS) and the Greater Boston School Human Resources Network. Candidates who have a strong commitment to active anti-racism are encouraged to apply.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Substitute Equal Opportunity Employer
Needham Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Human Resources
- 1330 Highland Avenue
- Needham, Massachusetts 02492