CLASS TITLE: Substitute Teacher (Per-diem) G E NERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The substitute teacher (per-diem) will provide an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of individuals to ensure success for every student. S U P E RVISION RECEIVED :
Works under the general supervision of the building principal or his/her/their designee with some latitude for the exercise of independent judgement; work is reviewed usually upon completion for conformance to established policies, rules regulations and procedures S U P E RVISION EXERCISED
: NoneILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
Under the direction of the building principal, the substitute teacher (per-diem) will:
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT: K N OWLEDGE, SKILLS AND CAPACITIES
- Provide an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of individuals to ensure success for every student.
- Supervise students in a variety of school-related settings.
- Communicate and interact with students and staff.
- Monitor appropriate use and care of equipment, materials and facilities.
- Support and nurture the academic, social-emotional, and physical needs of all students.
- Be academic advocates for their students advising, mentoring and modeling appropriate habits of mind and deed use best practices in teaching.
- Create a personalized, rigorous, socially engaging school environment that will meet the needs of all students as they prepare for high school and beyond.
- Creates a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enables each student to achieve learning objectives
- Instructs students individually and in groups using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions and demonstrations
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students? varying needs and interests
- Takes all necessary safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a positive learning environment in the classroom
- Demonstrated proficiency with PC-based computer applications, Microsoft Office applications, email, Web applications, and industry-specific technology.
- Must understand and be willing to work within the parameters of an Aligned Instruction System, including teaching a unified curriculum.
E DUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
- Must have the knowledge and skills to build positive relationships with people from diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and vision of PPSD and the relevance of job functions to that mission and vision
Education : Possession of a Bachelor's degree or Associate's degree or attainment of junior status as an undergraduate student. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of the new hire compliance training prior to your first day of employment
- Commit to work at least 3 days per week
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check. Selected candidates cannot begin work until passing their background check.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Substitute Equal Opportunity Employer
Providence Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Brenda Marquis
- 797 Westminster
- Providence, Rhode Island 02903