Certified Substitute Teacher GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The substitute teacher will provide an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of individuals to ensure success for every student. SUPERVISION RECEIVED
: Works under the general supervision of the building principal or his/her/their designee with some latitude for the exercise of independent judgement; work is reviewed usually upon completion for conformance to established policies, rules regulations and procedures ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
Under the direction of the building principal, the substitute teacher (per-diem) will:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND CAPACITIES
- Plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students.
- Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of individuals to ensure success for every student.
- Supervises students in a variety of school-related settings.
- Monitors and evaluates student outcomes.
Communicates and interacts with students, parents and staff.
- Develops, selects and modifies instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students.
- Maintains appropriate records and follows required procedures and practices.
- Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials and facilities.
- Participate in all district and school-based professional development inclusive of working with internal coaches) and external (consultants) supports.
- Support and nurture the academic, social-emotional, and physical needs of all students
- Follow all relevant School Board Policy including Direct Instruction, Envision Mathematics, Science FOSS kits, PBIS Positive Behavior Intervention Supports), Reading First, Intervention supports with school partners, and VIPS (Volunteers in Providence Schools)academic advocates for their students advising, mentoring and modeling appropriate habits of mind and deed use best practices in teaching.
- Create a personalized, rigorous, socially engaging school environment that will meet the needs of all students as they prepare for high school and beyond.
- Creates a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Participates in district and school based professional development activities for Long Term Assignments: Up to 15 hours for LTSPs.
- Instructs students individually and in groups using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions and demonstrations.
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students varying needs and interests
- Takes all necessary safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Develops and maintains positive and cooperative interactions and communications with colleagues.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a positive learning environment in the classroom
- Demonstrated proficiency with PC-based computer applications, Microsoft Office applications, email, Web applications, and industry-specific technology.
- Must understand and be willing to work within the parameters of an Aligned Instruction System, including teaching a unified curriculum.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
- Must have the knowledge and skills to build positive relationships with people from diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and vision of PPSD and the relevance of job functions to that mission and vision
Education : Possession of a Bachelor's degree SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of the new hire compliance training prior to your first day of employment
- Commit to work long term assignments.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check. Selected candidates cannot begin work until passing their background check.
Any RIDE Teaching Certificate
Paid a daily rate of $150.00 per day for the 1st year and $200.00 per day beginning in 2nd year (Must complete a minimum of 68 days per semester for two consecutives semesters to receive credit. Increases occur with the new semester following qualifications.
Social WorkerSchool Nurse Teacher
Speech PathologistBilingual Spanish Speech Pathologist
School PsychologistBilingual Spanish School Psychologist
Secondary PhysicsSecondary Chemistry
Secondary BiologyGeneral Science Teacher
Secondary Sp. Ed. Teacher with content
Secondary ESL Teacher with content
Middle School ESL Teacher with content
Middle School Bilingual Spanish - Math
Middle School Bilingual Spanish - Science
Elementary KG-6 or Elementary 1-6
Elementary KG-6 or Elementary 1-6 with ESL End.
Elementary KG-6 or Elementary 1-6 with Bilingual End.
Sp. Ed. Elementary Level Gr. K-8
Early Childhood Teacher with the ECH Sp. Ed.
Early Childhood Teacher with the ECH Bilingual Spanish Sp. Ed.
Job Category : Instructional Support > Substitute Employer Description
Providence Schools is an urban school district serving 24,000 children in Rhode Island's Capital City.
Providence Schools employs approximately 3,500 people; over 2,000 are certified teachers.
Contact Human Resources manager 401-456-9100 Ext. 11182 to answer any questions you may have. Learn more about us... Equal Opportunity Employer
Providence Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Brenda Marquis
- 797 Westminster
- Providence, Rhode Island 02903