The teacher assistant reports directly to the Principal and works under the guidance and supervision of the principal or his designee. The teacher assistant maintains a cooperative staff relationship with all personnel functioning within the educational setting. Roles & Responsibilities
The duties of the teacher assistant encompass a broad spectrum and include but are not limited to the following:
1. Participate in daily and long-range lesson and classroom activity planning.
2. Conduct learning exercises with small groups of students.
3. Guide students in developing positive relationships with peers and adults.
4. Assisting with the supervision of pupils in the classroom, corridors, school yards, lavatories, cafeterias, etc... and on field trips.
5. Assist Pre-K students with toileting, dressing, feeding, self-care, which may include diaper changes.
6. Alert the teacher to special needs of individual students.
7. Collecting and distributing educational materials.
8. With teacher supervision, correct students? work and prescribe additional work to remediate students? weaknesses.
9. Operating machines which duplicate or copy information for distribution to pupils.
10. Assisting the teacher to meet the many personal and physical needs of the child.
11. Under teacher supervision, participate in discipline procedure and prescribe consequences for student behavior.
12. Assist teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing behavior or academic skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
13. Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
14. Commit to attend ongoing professional development sessions; such as those offered by RIDE, the Providence School Department, and Local Union 1033.
15. Perform additional teacher assistant duties as requested.Minimum Qualifications
1. Associate Degree, or 48 College Credits, or a passing score of 461 on the ParaPro Test and certificate of completion from an approved Teacher Assistant Training Program or enrolled in an approved Teaching Assistant Training Program with an expected completion time within 4 months of start date.
2. Pass English Proficiency Test
Job Categories : Instructional Support > Substitute
Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Employer Description
Providence Schools is an urban school district serving 24,000 children in Rhode Island's Capital City.
Providence Schools employs approximately 3,500 people; over 2,000 are certified teachers.
Contact Human Resources manager 401-456-9100 Ext. 11182 to answer any questions you may have. Learn more about us... Equal Opportunity Employer
Providence Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Brenda Marquis
- 797 Westminster
- Providence, Rhode Island 02903