ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all - including students who fall behind or have been considered "hard to serve" for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 82% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 20% are served by the Office of Special Education and 77% are students of color.JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Supervisor of School Counseling will design, coordinate implementation and monitor a comprehensive guidance program for grades K-12; monitor the implementation of school guidance programs; confer with staff to provide feedback for essential program improvements; develop and coordinate in-service activities and workshops; develop and manage an operating budget for the division; provide leadership in the evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment to support the guidance program; maintain liaisons with institutions of higher education, community service agencies, businesses and government; and interpret the guidance program to the Board of Education, staff and community.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess needs for guidance services that will enable students to achieve to full potential in the educational program, grades K-12.
- Establish a guidance program, philosophy, goals and objectives for each educational level (elementary, middle, and high school), along with models for the delivery of services.
- Design and develop a program and make regular improvements to assure high quality services at all levels.
- Evaluate the guidance program regularly, plan for and carry out improvements.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal requirements relevant to guidance and counseling, personalization or comprehensive counseling.
- Disseminate information and provide training for school personnel regarding trends in college placement, technology education and employment opportunities.
- Develop reports and other communications to apprise the Board of Education, staff, students and the public of guidance services and progress.
- Develop and justify the annual budget and strategic plans to make the best use of available resources, to implement the most cost-effective and beneficial strategies to accomplish the mission of the department and to assure that the system for reporting and accountability is established and implemented. Supervise the appropriate allocation of staff and resources.
- Direct and/or personally conduct a continuing review and appraisal of program policies, procedures and operation to determine adequacy of the guidance and counseling program in meeting school district objectives and the needs of the students and parents.
- Establish policies, procedures and methods for obtaining information and evaluation programs, utilizing information for nationwide programs as a base of reference in the development and implementation of plans for new or modified practices.
- Ensure compliance of initiatives and operations in accordance with established guidance and counseling standards and priorities and criteria of the Syracuse City School District.
- Provide insight into problem areas in the guidance and counseling programs, determine resolutions and supervise the coordination of remedial action.
- Gather, review and analyze data reports. Develop reports that outline the status of the guidance and counseling program and the program's compliance with organizational, legislative and statutory requirements.
- Collaborate with a variety of parents, non-profit organizations, professional groups, private institutions, colleges and universities to provide a seamless web of support for students. Establish networks among guidance counselors, teachers, conflict resolution facilities and career counselors.
- Represent the school system at guidance and counseling related activities including media events, conferences, hearings, school and community based activities, etc.
- Establish and maintain liaison with State and Federal education officials on matters concerning education services programs by analyzing and advising on national, regional and local trends that affect education services programs.
- Establish and serve as chairperson of the System wide Guidance Committee.
- Coordinate in-service programs relating to guidance and counseling services for teachers, counselors and others.
- Design, coordinate and facilitate professional development relevant to guidance and counseling.
- Act as resource person to assist local school counselors and administrators with special cases.
- Conduct workshops for students, faculties, parents and community groups as needed.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
- NYS Certification in School District Administration (SDA) or School District Leader (SDL).
- Master's Degree in Guidance and Counseling.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of educational experience with at least five (5) years of successful experience in counseling.
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- Training and/or experience with Culturally Relevant Education preferred.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
Per Unit 2 contractual agreement (12-month position)
Job Categories : Administrator > Director/Coordinator/Manager
Student Services > School/Guidance Counselor Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210