Urbana School District #116TITLE:
Substitute School Crossing Guard LOCATION:
Nine intersections in Urbana, IL, including: 1) Vine & Oregon, 2) Race & Oregon, 3) Florida & James Cherry, 4) Florida & Anderson, 5) Washington & Kinch, 6) Goodwin & Fairview, 7) Anderson & Eliot, 8) Fairview & Lincoln, and 9) Oregon & Broadway. SUPERVISOR:
Building School Principal and/or Designee QUALIFICATIONS:
Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older Must be able to successfully pass a background check JOB OVERVIEW:
The primary responsibility of the Substitute School Crossing Guard is to fill vacancies that occur when an assigned School Crossing Guard is sick or otherwise unable to be at his/her assigned crosswalk. The School Crossing Guard is responsible for the safety of school children crossing the streets and intersections to and from school. In order to do this successfully, he/she must stop and direct all traffic at the school crossing and direct students when it is safe to cross. The School Crossing Guard must report to his/her assigned post on time each morning and afternoon that school sessions begin/end and remain on duty until all students cross safely. This is a seasonal position held only when the students are in session for the main school year. PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintains the safety of all students and pedestrians by controlling the flow of traffic for the crossing of pedestrians at his/her assigned crosswalk. Maintains a positive working relationship with the Urbana School District. Maintains the appearance and serviceability of all issued equipment. Occasionally attends in-service training as required. Must be willing to work in all types of weather. OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to recognize potential hazards to individuals utilizing the crosswalks.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with children, other pedestrians, and Urbana School District personnel.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with people of all ages.
- Must have adequate sight and hearing (with or without reasonable accommodations) to protect children from potential traffic hazards.
- Ability to walk and perform school crossing duties in all weather and traffic conditions.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Works outside exposed to weather in climatic conditions associated with outside work.
- Works in moderately noisy conditions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in close proximity to gas fumes from passing vehicles.
- Works on slippery, uneven surfaces.
- Works in and around moving objects and vehicles.
- Assigned to any of the nine specified intersections on an on-call basis, Monday through Friday.
- When assigned, will be on duty from 7:45 AM - 8:15 AM during the morning, and/or 2:50 PM - 3:20 PM in the afternoon.
- Paid a base of two (2) hours per week at the rate of $11.80/hour to be on-call, regardless of and in addition to any assignments that are worked.
- Paid at the rate of one (1) hour per morning or afternoon shift at the rate of $11.80/hour for any crosswalk assignments worked.
- Must be available to work when called to cover a crosswalk assignment, with few exceptions.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of personnel. START DATE:
This is not a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERREVISED:
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Support Staff > Supervisory Aide Contact Information
- Markesha Parker, Director of Human Resources
- 205 North Race Street
- Urbana, Illinois 61801