About the School District of Philadelphia
The School District of Philadelphia is the cornerstone of public education in our city. The 130,000 students entrusted to us arrive at our schools every day with an extraordinary range of needs. Our role is to ensure that every single student receives an excellent education. Our students, their families and our community deserve our very best, and we work relentlessly to improve the academic outcomes and support the socio-emotional growth of all students.
Our district offers a wide range of employment opportunities for individuals who want to support ambitious district efforts to support, repair, and rebuild the infrastructure of our school and administrative buildings. About the Role The School District of Philadelphia is currently hiring for over 10 Asbestos Abatement Workers.
Asbestos Workers perform alterations, maintenance, construction and repair removal of asbestos containing materials from acoustical plaster, steel beam fireproofing, and pipe and boiler insulation in District buildings. Essential Functions
- Performs a variety of skilled tasks involving the repair and/or removal of asbestos containing materials; erects plastic barriers, seals off openings, constructs double barrier airlocks; installs HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filtering equipment; removes suspended ceilings and sprays amended water on asbestos material;
- Removes acoustical plaster, steel beam fireproofing and/or pipe and boiler insulation; decontaminates work area; replaces acoustical plaster, steel beam
fireproofing and/or pipe and boiler insulation; installs new suspended ceilings; removes plastic barriers; wet washes entire work area; washes tools and equipment; restores area to its original condition;
- Performs minor electrical, carpentry, plastering, painting, installation, floor tile and other related repair work to restore the area disturbed during asbestos repair and removal;
- Prepares reports of completed work assignments which include information on the types and quantities of materials and supplies used.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of an EPA approved Asbestos Worker Training Course.
- Three years of full-time, paid, journeyman level asbestos abatement experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- the principles, methods, tools and procedures governing the repair and removal of asbestos in accordance with NIOSH (National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health), OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), EPA (Environment Protection Agency) and Philadelphia Air Management regulations;
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of asbestos repair and removal;
- the materials and equipment used in asbestos repair and removal.
- Demonstrated skill in:
- the care and use of the tools of the trade, and respirators.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- work while wearing a NIOSH approved air supplied respirator, type "C" or a NIOSH approved high efficiency air purifying respirator, type "D" for extended periods of time;
- wear protective clothing and equipment for extended periods of time;
- accurately follow oral and written directions;
- prepare records and reports of work performed;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Special Medical Requirements
- Before a candidate can be employed for this position, he/she must successfully pass a physical examination as legally required by the regulations of NIOSH, the EPA and the state of Pennsylvania.
- Possession of a proper class license valid to operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Possession of a valid EPA approved Asbestos Worker/Supervisor Certificate.
- Possession of a valid Asbestos Worker/Supervisor license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the City of Philadelphia.
Job Categories: Career Education > Building Maintenance
Support Staff > Maintenance Contact Information
- Office of Talent
- 440 N. Broad Street
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19130