ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color. JOB DESCRIPTION:
The position of Independent Evaluator is designed to work as a highly effective teacher and a model of strong instructional practice in specifically designated transformation areas.
Independent Evaluators have three primary responsibilities: 1) to serve as impartial, third-party evaluators of teacher performance; 2) to provide teachers with targeted, content-specific feedback and resources; and 3) to provide instructional capacity to support SCSD reform initiatives.
The Independent Evaluator is an SCSD teacher who primarily works in the field, conducting observations of, and conferencing with, teachers across the SCSD. The position therefore requires significant travel within the city. Independent Evaluators receive extensive training on the Danielson Framework for Teaching, as well as delivering effective oral and written feedback. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific responsibilities of the Independent Evaluator role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teacher Observations (approximately 75-80%):
- Evaluating teacher practice through classroom observations. Each Independent Evaluator will complete approximately 100 30-minute observations per observation cycle (2 observation cycles per academic year).
- Writing detailed reports to accompany each observation. Reports will include explanations of the teacher's ratings, evidence, and suggestions for growth.
- Conducting one-on-one post-observation conferences with all observed teachers that allow opportunity to dialogue about specific areas of development.
- Maintaining detailed observational records, thoroughly documenting and rating evidence from each observation.
- Instructional Capacity (approximately 20-25%):
- Collaborating with other SCSD staff and departments to further support implementation of the SCSD academic plan, including curricular and professional development design.
- Collaborating with other members of the Teacher Leadership team to reach transformational goals.
- Providing targeted professional development to teachers by providing clear and direct feedback, leading content-specific professional development workshops, collaborating with school-based instructional coaches, and connecting teachers with professional development resources.
- Attending meetings and on-going trainings as required.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate is motivated by the mission to transform the Syracuse City School District into the nation's highest performing public school system, ensuring that all students acquire the knowledge, skills and values necessary to live rich and fulfilling lives as responsible, productive and enlightened members of a democratic society. This position offers the opportunity to have a profound and lasting impact on student learning and achievement. Candidates must possess the following professional qualifications:
- At least five (5) years of teaching experience in a low-income school;
- Documented evidence of success raising student achievement in a low-income school;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- The ability to work effectively and professionally with others at all levels of an organization;
- An ability to critically assess challenges and identify appropriate solutions;
- Strong organizational skills, including keen attention to detail and the ability to adhere to strict deadlines;
- Excellent time management and a willingness to work non-standard hours;
- Ability to work in ambiguous situations, while maintaining a sense of purpose and positive intent;
- Previous experience developing and providing support and training to other educators (preferred);
- Knowledge of adult learner theory (preferred);
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- Training and/or experience with Culturally Relevant Education preferred.
Ability to work beyond the ten-month school year and student day.SALARY/SALARY RANGE:
The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Teacher Mentor
Special Education > General Special Education
Student Services > Teacher Mentor Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210