Job DescriptionPosition: Substitute CookReports to: Food Services SupervisorSite: Shiwi Ts'ana ElementaryFLSA: Non - ExemptContract Length: Temporary On Call BasisPurpose:
Under general supervision prepares and serves food, maintains a clean environment, follows USDA and State requirements in a timely, safe and professional manner.Minimum Qualifications:
- High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED);
- Valid New Mexico Food Handler Card;
- One year of professional experience in preparing and serving food preferred;
- Knowledge of food preparation, food service methods and equipment helpful;
- Ability to plan, read, measure, calculate and meet deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective relationship with students, peers and parents;
- Ability to communicate with students effectively;
- Must possess and maintain good personal hygiene;
- Able to perform the following essential duties, physical and mental functions and utilize the essential equipment of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Participate in preparing a variety of foods, such as soups, salads, meats, vegetables, breads, and desserts;
- Make sandwich fillings and prepares sandwiches;
- Set up foods prepared for serving on counters and steam tables;
- Serves food at breakfast, lunch, and snacks as assigned;
- Accurately accounts for food preparation;
- Operates and cleans various kitchen equipment;
- Cleans kitchen equipment and area, Scrubs counters, tables and floors;
- Stores and takes care of supplies;
- Counts inventory when assigned;
- Supervises students and maintains order as necessary;
- Deals with stressful conditions in a professional manner;
- Conforms to safety standards prescribed;
- Must have patience, be neat, personable, kind, and courteous;
- Participates in on-site training;
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students,
- Perform assigned duties in a timely basis.
Majority of tasks and duties are performed indoors and in confined work areas. Work area involves being in and around knifes and sharp objects, equipment, appliances, varying temperatures, and on cement floors.
Frequently required to stand, reach, grasp, bend, twist, stoop, talk, listen, walk, and climb;
Usually walks on even surfaces indoors and uneven surfaces outdoors;
Must possess enough strength and power grasp handle kitchen appliances and equipment, large containers of food, and mopping equipment;
Pushing/pulling: up to 50 -75 lbs., large containers of food;
Lifting: up to 75 lbs, occasionally 50-60 lbs, frequently 10 -25 lbs. constantly,
Carrying: up to 20 - 25 lbs.;
Hand and eye coordination in operating equipment, appliances and containers of food;
Exposed to various degrees of noises (talking, music, traffic, etc.). The noise level in the kitchen and cafeteria environment is usually moderate to loud;
Exposed to various temperatures ranging from mild/moderate to extreme cold/heat, (ovens, refrigerators, freezers, water, food) conditions;
Works in close proximity of other individuals;
General vision, corrected to 20/20, reads a multitude of menus, inventory, instructions, forms, logs and correspondence.
Exposed to various cleaning compounds and chemicals.Mental Functions
Must be able to:
- apply knowledge of requirements to operate equipment;
- plan and implement equipment inspections and preventive maintenance for assigned on kitchen equipment and appliances;
- read, analyze and interpret menus, inventory, temperatures;
- interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written and oral form;
- deal with students and parents in such a way to maintain their goodwill;
- respond appropriately to student behavior and discipline;
- respond appropriately to supervision and accept recommendations;
- present information effectively and respond to questions from students parents, peers, mechanics and supervisor.
- interpret and follow instructions;
- meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- recognize and report hazards and apply a safe work method.
Refrigerator, freezer, oven, etc.
Kitchen tools, knifes, spoons, forks, etc.
Kitchen equipment and appliances,
Brooms, mops and cleaning supplies.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Substitute Equal Opportunity Employer
Zuni Public School District #89 is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Tammie Gerrard
- 12 Twin Buttes Drive
- Zuni, New Mexico 87327