Beaumont independent school districtJob DescriptionJOB TITLE:
Academics for Life SpecialistsCLASSIFICATION:
Senior Director for Special Education ServicesPAY GRADE:
Administration OfficeDATE REVISED:
5/3/2018FUNDED BY:PRIMARY PURPOSE:
Provide programming, consultation, and training to general education and special education personnel in meeting the educational needs of students with intellectual and physical disabilities and medical conditions.QUALIFICATIONS:Education/Certification:
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in related field. Master's preferred
- Valid Texas teacher's certificate in related field
- Three years classroom teaching experience
- Experience in working with and programming for students with intellectual and physical disabilities and medical conditions
- Ability to work with school staff and parents
- Knowledge of state and federal special education laws
- Excellent written, communication and consultation skills
Provide effective behavioral and instructional strategies for students served in Academics for Life Programs.Provide technical assistance to teachers in structuring AFL classrooms.Provide assistance to campuses in the operation of Academic for Life classes.Promote the inclusion of students served the AFL class into the general education curriculum.Assist campuses in analyzing behavior data and monitoring student progress.Assist in developing documents designed to maintain and document student progress.Attend staffing and ARDs when appropriate to assist with the development and/or evaluation of individual education plans for students.Assist in the development and implementation of Behavior Intervention Plans (BIPS)Mentor new teachers responsible for educating students served in the AFL class.Collaborate with campus staff and other special education staff to provide on-going training for special education and general education staff in effective classroom management.Assist in the selection, ordering and appropriate use of instructional materials for AFL classes.Provide individual and group training and technical assistance to parents of students served in AFL classes.Coordinate in-training services for families and students.Work in collaboration with the Behavior Specialist and Autism Specialist as needed.Keep Elementary and Secondary Supervisors informed of work with AFL classes.Work in collaboration with agencies and organizations that support students with intellectual and physical disabilities and their families. EQUIPMENT USED:
WORKING CONDITIONS:Mental Demands
- Computer, printer, copier, DVD/VCT and other emerging technologies which are unique to the job assignment. Instructional software as required by assignment.
- Maintain emotional control under stress
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing.
- Moderate lifting and carrying.
- Prolonged use of computer and repetitive hand motions.
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
The above statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to the job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Job Category: Special Education > General Special Education Contact Information
- Derwin Samuels
- 3395 Harrison Ave
- Beaumont, Texas 77706