ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.WHO WE WANT:
Successful SCSD educators are passionately committed to urban education and all in for Syracuse students. They:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels;
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools or communities, and to closing the achievement gap;
- Demonstrate willingness to put the interests of students above all others;
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in their school and district;
- Adapt seamlessly to the complexities of the urban school environment; and
- Follow current trends in education policy and research, including Common Core standards, comprehensive assessment systems and data-driven instruction.
Reporting to the principal, the teacher ensures that all their students achieve ambitious academic outcomes. The teacher must effectively:
- Plan data-driven, standards-aligned and differentiated units, lessons and activities;
- Deliver clear, accurate and rigorous lessons with a range of instructional and formative assessment techniques;
- Establish and maintain a supportive, productive and positive learning environment with strong classroom management practices; and
- Monitor and communicate about student progress while engaging in continuous reflection, adjustment and professional development.
- The teacher will perform additional related duties as required.
For further details on our expectations for classroom educators, explore the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
- Proven experience accelerating measurable student learning in urban schools (preferred)
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Minimum of two years' successful classroom teaching experience (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- All candidates must possess New York State teacher certification in their subject area, or qualify to obtain it by the first date of employment. This requires at least a Bachelor's degree. Licensed teachers from other states may qualify for reciprocity.
- Please note that New York State requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 for certification, and one hired, this proof will be kept on file in the Office of Human Resources.
- Once offered, you will be required to declare that all previous obligations with an employing school district have been met and you are not seeking this position with the intent of resigning from a previous commitment in which you have not served.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time will receive an additional stipend.
- Teachers will have opportunities to teach in our Summer School Programs, receiving an hourly rate of $42.69.
- Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District's Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please click HERE.
Job Categories: Special Education > Autism
Special Education > Emotionally Disabled
Special Education > General Special Education
Special Education > Learning Disabled
Special Education > Mentally Disabled
Special Education > Mild/Moderate Disabilities
Special Education > Multiple Disabilities
Special Education > Severe/Profound Disabilities Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210