This posting creates a pool of candidates for future positions that may become available. TitleTitle Code
Curriculum and Instruction
193-DayReports To (title only)Current as of
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Plans and administers a school's library media program. Plans and provides instruction to students and training to staff. Manages library media center's budget, materials, facilities, and equipment. Supports the school library media program's mission and vision and communicates it to administrators, staff, students, parents, and the community.Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Teaches appropriate content to students using appropriate instructional strategies and methods that will increase student learning. Exhibits deep knowledge of a variety of teaching strategies, curricular areas, and stays current with trends, new ideas, and programs.
2. Provides instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education. Infuses technology into curriculum. Is able to work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office and school board staff, students, parents and community.
3. Supports the district's vision for student success and the vision of the Digital Media office for transforming library media centers into innovative 21st Century environments.
4. Analyzes the needs and interests of patrons of the school library media center and provides appropriate materials that meet the informational, research, educational, and recreational needs of the users.
5. Serves as the Review and Evaluation expert/representative at the school level. Advises administrators and staff regarding fair use and copyright laws.
6. Maintains knowledge and expertise in the features and content of online databases and other digital learning content.
7. Assists teachers in locating appropriate resources to support classroom instruction.
8. Serves as one of the technology experts at the schools. Acquaints teachers and students with new ideas, programs, and trends in the instructional use of technology. Promotes the ethical use of media, digital citizenship, and online safety.
9. Maintains current knowledge of the content and organization of the district curriculum and recognizes relations among subject fields.
10. Plans, develops and conducts professional development for teachers and administrators on appropriate topics.
11. Works collaboratively with teachers in a face-to-face or virtual environment, when possible, to enhance and integrate curricular units and lessons to infuse media standards and/or digital media practices into the curriculum.
12. Continually analyzes existing media space to move towards the creation of spaces that can be used for collaborative activities, content creation, presentations, and performances.
13. Ensures the effective organization, circulation, and maintenance of resources.
14. Supports staff and students in developing an appreciation of literature and reading to access information. Promotes literacy (including digital literacy) and the enjoyment of reading, viewing, and listening.
15. Manages financial accounts and in accordance with financial procedures.
16. Completes required local and state reports accurately and in a timely manner.
17. Promotes the media center through public relations.
18. Attends professional development opportunities.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions .Education
• Meets current Maryland state certification requirement for School Library Media Specialists.Experience
• NoneKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of school-based library media systems and procedures.
• Knowledge of current instructional practices.
• Ability to manage library media center operations and assigned staff.
• Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with students, professional staff members, parents, and community groups.
• Excellent oral and written communication and human relationship skills.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse populations.
• Knowledge of current trends in technology and applications.
• Ability to employ business technology tools (e.g. E-mail, AACPS Intranet, electronic benefits enrolment tool, Microsoft Office Suite, etc.).
• Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.Licenses/Certifications
• See EducationCareer Ladder Requirements
• N/APhysical Requirements
• Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.Established: 1/1/1991
Job Category: Student Services > Librarian/Media Specialist Welcome to Anne Arundel County Public Schools!
Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) provides a challenging and rewarding educational experience for every child. We offer a comprehensive system-wide multicultural curriculum from kindergarten through 12th grade. At every level, the focus is on success for every student. Quality instruction, combined with teacher commitment, provides excellence in our instructional programs. Explore career opportunities with a progressive school system dedicated to providing the very best services to our students, our educators, and our community. Located on the magnificent Chesapeake Bay, Anne Arundel County is conveniently located near the cities of Baltimore and Washington, D.C., and is home to the state capitol, Annapolis, which has a rich historical past. Notable landmarks include the United State Naval Academy, Fort George G. Meade, the National Security Agency, and Baltimore Washington International Airport. The county encompasses urban, suburban, and rural areas, with 432 miles of tidal shoreline. Fine dining, state parks, major cultural attractions, the best in entertainment and professional sports are within easy access to our central location.
AACPS offers: Competitive Salary and Benefits Outstanding Right Start Mentor Program for New Teachers Tuition Reimbursement for continuing education Opportunities for Advancement in the Education Field Exemplary Special Education Programs Rigorous Advanced Placement Coursework for Students Learn more about us... Contact Information
- Human Resources
- 2644 Riva Road
- Annapolis, Maryland 21401
- Phone: 410-222-5061
- Fax: 443-458-0134
- Email: click here