This posting creates a pool of candidates for future positions that may become available. TitleTitle Code
Curriculum and Instruction
191-DayReports To (title only)Current as of
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Instructs students in Dance I, II, III and IV; Dance for Athletes I, II, III and IV; and Dance Company I, II, III and IV according to the Anne Arundel County Public Schools high school dance curriculum. Demonstrates technique and guides students through the creative and performance aspects of the dance curriculum. Observes students' work and gives technical and aesthetic corrections. Plans and directs semester fine arts dance concerts for dance classes and Dance Company. Plans and directs Dance Company participation in the Anne Arundel County Public Schools Dance Festivals.Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Plans, prepares, and presents lessons according to the Anne Arundel County Public Schools high school dance curriculum.
2. Uses curricular texts and assessments, instructional materials, and instructional technology in an appropriate fashion.
3. Modifies instructional plans to meet the needs of all dance students.
4. Provides and maintains a professional studio and performance atmosphere for dance education.
5. Monitors use and care of instructional equipment, materials and facilities.
6. Keeps attendance and grade records as required by Board Policy/Administrative Regulation.
7. Prepares, administers and adjudicates student assessments and portfolios.
8. Counsels students when academic and other dance education issues arise.
9. Communicates with parents and students regarding progress or problems.
10. Participates in parent-teacher or teacher-student conferences as necessary.
11. Actively participates in school and staff activities.
12. Provides input regarding the dance education instructional process.
13. Participates in dance education professional development.
14. Keeps current on dance trends, research, and pedagogy.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Special Magnet Program Duties:
16. Participates in regular professional development aligned with Magnet Program foundational principles, design and deliver classroom instruction aligned with and based on the Magnet Program pedagogical philosophies including:
17. Educates oneself on the teaching of the learners through transdisciplinary project and problem-based learning and inquiry learning,
18. Regularly supports or leads Magnet Program-related co-curricular activities,
19. Attends Magnet Program parent/family school and career programs regularly,
20. Engages in elements of Magnet Program summer bridge programs, summer professional development, and curriculum writing as appropriate on a rotational basis,
21. Actively participates in networking with other Magnet Program teachers for planning and instructional purposes,
22. Engages in cross-curricular planning and teaching with colleagues within the school,
23. Provides teacher professional development for colleagues related to Magnet philosophies, program, and goals, and
24. Prepares budget plans for the implementation of magnet program elementsMinimum Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions .Education
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Dance Education, Dance Education and Performance, or Dance Performance with teaching certification.Experience
• NoneKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of school organization, goals and objectives with emphasis on dance education techniques.
• Knowledge of state and national dance standards.
• Demonstrated technical dance training with ability to teach curricular dance genres.
• Knowledge of current trends, research and pedagogy in dance.
• Ability to speak and write effectively.
• Ability to positively communicate with and relate to students, parents, and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
• Ability to effectively communicate with diverse communities and develop outreach strategies to encourage parental involvement in student learning.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and engage diverse parents/ guardians with varied communication styles, levels of skill and experience to support their child's education experience.
• Ability to employ a variety of teaching styles to respond to the needs of diverse learners.
• Ability to employ business technology tools (e.g. e-mail, AACPS Intranet, Microsoft Office Suite, etc.).
• Satisfactory score on any test required.Licenses/Certifications
• Eligible for Maryland State Board of Education professional certificate appropriate to area of assignment.Career Ladder Requirements
• N/APhysical Requirements
• As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.Established: 11/1/2007
Job Categories: Career Education > Dance
Classroom Teacher > Arts: Dance Welcome to Anne Arundel County Public Schools!
Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) provides a challenging and rewarding educational experience for every child. We offer a comprehensive system-wide multicultural curriculum from kindergarten through 12th grade. At every level, the focus is on success for every student. Quality instruction, combined with teacher commitment, provides excellence in our instructional programs. Explore career opportunities with a progressive school system dedicated to providing the very best services to our students, our educators, and our community. Located on the magnificent Chesapeake Bay, Anne Arundel County is conveniently located near the cities of Baltimore and Washington, D.C., and is home to the state capitol, Annapolis, which has a rich historical past. Notable landmarks include the United State Naval Academy, Fort George G. Meade, the National Security Agency, and Baltimore Washington International Airport. The county encompasses urban, suburban, and rural areas, with 432 miles of tidal shoreline. Fine dining, state parks, major cultural attractions, the best in entertainment and professional sports are within easy access to our central location.
AACPS offers: Competitive Salary and Benefits Outstanding Right Start Mentor Program for New Teachers Tuition Reimbursement for continuing education Opportunities for Advancement in the Education Field Exemplary Special Education Programs Rigorous Advanced Placement Coursework for Students Learn more about us... Contact Information
- Human Resources
- 2644 Riva Road
- Annapolis, Maryland 21401
- Phone: 410-222-5061
- Fax: 443-458-0134
- Email: click here