Title: Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Interventionist
Reports to: Building Administrator
location : Multiple Buildings throughout the District
Job Summary :
The Social Emotional Interventionist is responsible for providing social, emotional behavioral supports to students. He/she will collaborate with the classroom teacher/building administrator to coordinate behavior support plans that improve learning and personal growth, establish effective rapport with students, and motivates them to develop skills needed to improve their positive behavior in the school environment. To help ensure a positive and safe school climate, the Success Coach is also responsible for providing assistance to teachers and students in the school building to which he/she is assigned.
Qualification Requirements : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and experience
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in education, counseling, social work, psychology, sociology or a related field; or specialized certification in programs such as Restorative Justice.
- At least three years of successful experience working with students, including those with behavioral issues or considered at-risk for academic success.
- Demonstrated knowledge of crisis intervention strategies.
- Successful experience working in urban school settings.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Develop behavior plans and specific intervention plans for referred students; assist in their implementation, including using appropriate resources and technology to promote the development of critical thinking, problem-solving, and pro-social behavior in students.
- Assist classroom teachers in the identification and development of individual behavior interventions intended to change behaviors using evidenced-based strategies like PBIS.
- Identify and implement appropriate interventions for students in need of additional assistance.
- Collect data regarding student behaviors and conduct research of current behavior interventions being used.
- Present professional development for administrators and teachers on behavior intervention, substance abuse, anger management, as well as other topics as needed.
- Assist families and school staff in identifying community resources; be available to go on home visits as requested by the administration.
- Maintain confidentiality of student, family, and other professional information.
- Keep principal and teachers informed of student progress, incidents and concerns.
- Complete required paperwork in an accurate and timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the principal for the purpose of building and maintaining safe and orderly school environments.
- Abide by all school policies and procedures and laws.
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge in applied behavioral analysis, behavioral principles, and strategies.
- Ability to apply a gradually progressive system of verbal and non-verbal strategies to effectively deescalate out-of-control behavior or potentially dangerous situations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various methods of data collection and subsequent analysis and interpretation for data to rive appropriate behavioral interventions.
- Ability to maintain frequent and meaningful parental communication; develop proactive partnerships between the student/parent and school to support academic achievement and pro-social behaviors.
- Act as a positive role model for students and model professional and ethical standards.
- Work in a collegial and collaborative manner with peers, school personnel and the school community to promote and support the mission and goals of the school.
- Maintains effective working relationships with school staff, parents and students.
Terms of Employment :
This is a school year, 185-day position. Salary and benefits as established by the Superintendent.
- Position Type: Not provided
Job Categories: Special Education > Behavior Specialist / EBD
Special Education > Emotionally Disabled
State-level Positions > Specialist Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Kayla Connor
- 1995 Union Avenue
- Benton Harbor, Michigan 49022