ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.JOB DESCRIPTION:
Teaching Assistants provide instructional services to students under the general supervision of a licensed or certified teacher.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with individual pupils or groups of pupils on special instructional projects
- Provide the teacher with information about pupils which will assist the teacher in the development of appropriate learning and behavioral experiences
- Assist pupils in the use of available instructional resources, and assisting in the development of instructional materials
- Utilize their own special skills and abilities by assisting in instructional programs in such areas as: foreign languages, arts, crafts, music and similar subjects
- Assist in related instructional work as required
- Assist students with specific health related activities as appropriate
- When working in a Special Education classroom, employees may be required to perform the following tasks:
- Toileting needs
- Feeding needs
- Llifting students when needed
- Pushing students in assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs)
- 32.5 hours per week, 10 months per year
- New York State Level I, Level II, Level III, Pre-Professional, or Continuing teaching assistant certificate is required.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current new hire salary for SCSD Teaching Assistants is $20,464 per the Unit 8 contractual agreement.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Individual Aide
Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210