Provide quality instruction that enables each child to pursue his/her education as smoothly and completely as possible in the absence of the regular teacher (or provides substitute services as a custodian, secretary or assistant). ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT:
Prior to becoming a substitute teacher with Harrisonburg City you must complete the Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting and Responding for Educators. This on-line training module can be located at the following website:
Once complete please attach the certificate, received at the end of the training module, to your on-line application.
1. Minimum of two years of college or has previously worked in Harrisonburg City Public Schools for at least 2 years as a paraprofessional. Long-term substitutes should have a valid Virginia teaching license. This minimum requirement does not apply to custodial substitutes.
2. Must submit a recent (within twelve months) certificate signed by a licensed physician stating the absence of communicable tuberculosis.
3. Pass a criminal review by the State Police Department and Virginia Department of Social Services/Child Protective Services background check.
4. Emotionally mature, objective, and sensitive to people and their concerns. Able to handle responsibility, work independently, and maintain good working relationships with students, families and co-workers. REPORTS TO:
Principal/Administrator ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Reports to the building administrator or school secretary upon arrival at the school building.
2. Reviews all lesson plans and schedules to be followed prior to the students' arrival.
3. Maintains the established routines and procedures of the designated school and classroom. (The substitute is expected to grade other written work not left in the lesson plans.)
4. Teaches the lesson outlined and described by the absent teacher.
5. Consults with the administration, team leader, or grade level teacher to get a clear understanding of the schedule and assignment.
6. Assumes the responsibility for maintaining a positive classroom climate and demonstrates enthusiasm for the teaching/learning process.
7. Practices and promotes positive interaction with and among students.
8. Complies with and supports school division policies, regulations and procedures.
9. Completes the Substitute Assessment Form and leaves it for the regular teacher. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
On an as-needed basis.EVALUATION:
Performance on this job will be evaluated by the principal/administrator. COMPENSATION (Effective November 14, 2011):
Four years of college Two years of college
Substitute for a teacher and secretary $80.00 $75.00
Substitute for a teacher assistant $70.00 $65.00
Substitute for a custodian $72.40
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Student Services > School Nurse Equal Opportunity Employer
Harrisonburg City Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Yeevonne Connolly
- One Court Square
- Harrisonburg , Virginia 22801