Urbana School District #116TITLE:
Special Education Teaching Assistant (for Cross Categorical, TEACCH, and
Assistant Superintendent for Student Services, Director of Student Services, and/or Building Administration JOB SUMMARY:
The Special Education Teaching Assistant works under the direct supervision of the special education teacher and under the broad supervision of the building principal. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Provide assistance to students to help develop their independence.
- Assist in carrying out lessons to students as arranged by the teacher, including working with students on an individual or small group basis.
- Make needed adaptations and accommodations for students' academic programming in general education classes as developed by the special education teacher.
- Follow each student's individual behavioral plan as well as the classroom behavior management plan.
- Provide for special needs of individual students, including lifting, hygiene and restroom assistance if necessary.
- Assist the teacher in maintaining a functional, attractive and orderly environment conducive to student learning.
- Assist the special education teacher in clerical tasks, computer work, arts and crafts preparation, playground Supervision, housecleaning duties, bus loading and unloading.
- Promote and model responsible, respectful and safe behaviors.
- Promote and model appropriate social interactions with and between students.
- Maintain the classroom routine when the teacher is not present.
- Provide programs for students off School property if requested. (May include, but not limited to, field trips, vocational and aquatic center activities.)
- Record and compile data monitoring academic and behavior programming.
- Participate in staff team/collaboration meetings as assigned.
- Perform all other duties and tasks assigned from time to time by the special education teacher as it relates to individual students or the classroom.
- Monitor student needs and behaviors during lunch, going to and from all classes and at all times.
- Report any unusual student behaviors to the teacher or administrator.
- Maintain strict standards of student and family confidentiality.
- Use appropriate TCI techniques, including de-escalation strategies and therapeutic restraint methods when students are in danger of harming themselves or others.
- Become certified in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention training and maintain current certification.
- Must meet all requirements for the position as designated by the ISBE to obtain a Paraprofessional License: 60 hours of college credit or passing scores on a Work Keys Basic Skills
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- 2 years school-based experience preferred
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Highly organized
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent problem-solver
- Should be able to work with students with a history of behavior or learning problems Proven to work under pressure and can prioritize multiple tasks
Student Contact Days EVALUATION:
To be completed by principal with input from the special education teacher. START DATE:
This is a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERREVISED:
Job Categories: Special Education > General Special Education
Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA
Special Education > Special Education Assistant Contact Information
- Larry Simmons
- 205 North Race Street
- Urbana, Illinois 61801