Position is responsible for establishing connections with families from the Ridley Place neighborhood and any other areas associated with the Choice Neighborhood Initiative Program. The position will ensure students and parents, in the affected areas, are aware of the available resources and opportunities and any additional assistance as needed. The position will assist with the Choice Neighborhood Initiative Program goals of increasing the availability of educational programs, strengthening quality of early education programs, creating a continuum of enriched learning and support opportunities and setting a clear school-to-career pathway by fostering college and career preparedness specifically in the Ridley Place community. Position will work with various age groups to include birth through graduation.Essential Duties
1. Establish and develop community relationships with Ridley Place parents and children.
2. Stay abreast of all educational opportunities available to the community to include, Newport News Public Schools offerings, Head Start, Smart Beginnings, Newport News Parks and Recreation and Community Service Board.
3. Organize monthly onsite academic and family engagement opportunities to include, but not limited to, game nights, story time, family informational sessions and additional events for parents to explore and register their children for educational opportunities.
4. Work with community members to establish partnerships on programs and offerings and serves as the liaison to the Ridley Place neighborhood on these partnerships.
5. Strong organization skills and keep accurate records, collects and reports data to school division leaders and department supervisors as well as grant evaluators in a timely manner; maintains necessary records and reports ensuring confidentiality of students and their families.
6. Provides Newport News Public Schools officials and department leaders with progress reports to include program findings and additional options for continued success or improvement.
7. Collaborates with school staff to include school counselors, teachers, administrators, on-site mentors, tutors and graduation coaches for Ridley Place students to strengthen the school-to-career pathway and foster college and career preparedness.
8. Ensures compliance with School Board policies and procedures.
9. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.) Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Bachelor's degree in education, social work, school counseling or other related field; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the essential knowledge, skills and abilities. Working knowledge of Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word; Basic Statistics. Superior written and verbal communication skills. Ability to follow oral and written direction of a technical nature, work independently under minimal guidance. Effective interpersonal and
communication skills. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and their families, school administrators and staff.
To view the full job description, please visit the link below:http://www.nnschools.org/hr/jobs/descriptions/Choice_Neighborhood_Resource_Specialist.pdf
Job Category: Student Services > School/Guidance Counselor Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Leslie Rogers, Human Resource Supervisor
- 12507 Warwick Boulevard
- Newport News, Virginia 23606