: AVID Tutors for 2019-2020 School YearDescription:
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) Tutors at Osbourn High School and Metz Middle School for 2019-2020 School Year - Temporary/HourlyGeneral Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the AVID District Director, AVID elective teacher(s) and school administrators, the AVID Tutor is responsible for facilitating the AVID program related to tutorial learning process, implementing methodologies, and supporting the college readiness system at the middle and high school during the school day. AVID tutors provide supplemental instructional tutoring services to assigned students individually and/or in study groups. Essential Duties:
(This list is intended solely as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude their addition if they are similar to or a logical extension of the position.)
- Facilitates the group tutorial and inquiry learning process and directly assists students in the core subject areas such as mathematics, science, social studies and English.
- Implements the goals and objectives of AVID tutorials by using AVID strategies (WICOR) and the AVID Tutorial materials effectively.
- Works collaboratively with groups of AVID students in the AVID Elective classroom to effectively facilitate AVID's inquiry-based tutorial groups.
- Participates in ongoing coaching and debriefing in inquiry and the AVID tutorial process by AVID trained site personnel and the District Director.
- Monitors the tutorial work of assigned tutorial groups of AVID students to ensure their effective participation and growth.
- Facilitates weekly student notebook checks.
- Assists students in various subject areas, by being familiar with students' textbooks and materials and AVID classroom resources.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
Requisite Education and Experience:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate enrolled in a college/university or a college graduate.
- Completes at a minimum 16 hours of training in WICOR and the AVID tutorial process skills, 4 to 6 hours must be completed prior to beginning work as a tutor in the AVID classroom and the remaining hours must be completed prior to the site's end of year certification.
- Educational philosophy that supports access to a rigorous college-prep curriculum for any student with the desire and willingness to work hard.
- Knowledge of basic subjects taught including pre-algebra, algebra, grammar, spelling, language, critical reading, and writing process.
- Possess personal attributes of integrity and respect for others as well as ability to work effectively in collaborative teams and serve as a mentor for middle and high school students.
- Possess effective organizational skills, including assessment of student AVID binder, Cornell notes, and Learning Logs.
- Able to implement goals, lead tutorial groups, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
To Be DeterminedOsbourn:
Monday-Friday 7:45 am - 3:15 pm
After School Tutoring: Based on Tutor Availability
2019-2020 Approved Salary: $15.68/hour
Manassas City Public Schools assures equal employment opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by federal and state orders and laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential tasks.
This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. It is neither intended to be, nor should it be construed as, an all-inclusive list of the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position. The administration reserves the right to modify, assign, or remove duties as necessary.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Tutor Equal Opportunity Employer
Manassas City Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Laura Yankoviak
- 8700 Centreville Road
- Suite 400
- Manassas, Virginia 20110