Beaumont Independent School District Job Description JOB TITLE:
School Crossing GuardCLASSIFICATION:
Chief of PolicePAY GRADE:
Choose # of days workedLOCATION:
Assigned CampusDATE REVISED:
04/06/2018FUNDED BY:PRIMARY PURPOSE:
Assist school children across streets at designated locations using safe procedures and good judgment.QUALIFICATIONS:Education/Certification:
- Completion of eight (8) school grades.
- High school diploma or equivalent and at least (3) months experience working with children preferred.
- Must possess a valid Class C driver's license with a good driving record.
- Knowledge of safety regulations applicable to school zones and school crossings.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have a telephone
Ability to regulate flow of traffic at peak school hoursAbility to control crowds of children at school crossing zonesAbility to follow oral and written directionsAbility to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.Ability to communicate verbally and in writing Essential Functions:
WORKING CONDITIONS:Environmental/Physical/Mental Demands
- Determine appropriate times to step into traffic creating gaps.
- Show pedestrians are using the crosswalk by standing in roadway continuously raising STOP paddle.
- Verbally direct children across the street
- Ability to recognize and communicate potentially dangerous traffic situations and hazards in the environment.
- Continuously works outside in all kinds of weather; is exposed to noise, exhaust fumes and dirt
- Exposed to hazards of moving vehicles
- Must be available to work 15 hours per week.
- Continuously observe vehicles, pedestrians, read signs
- Continuously observe vehicles approaching, listening for back-up alarms, horns, listening for children, noisy distracting environment
- Continuously balancing, standing, walking, reaching, lifting (STOP Paddle)
- Continuously turning head to observe traffic and children approaching crosswalk
- Continuously lifting feet over curb moving quickly to avoid vehicles
- Continuously speaking and firmly instructing children and pedestrians during crossing
The above statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to the job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The Beaumont Independent School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, or sex in the educational programs or activities that it operates and is an equal opportunity employer.Contact Information
- Derwin Samuels
- 3395 Harrison Ave
- Beaumont, Texas 77706