ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.
Director of Physical Education, Health & AthleticsWORKING HOURS:
This position will work 32.5 hours per week, 10 months per year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Aquatics Supervisor will be expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: This position will be hired provisionally . All candidates must meet the minimum qualifications on the Onondaga County Civil Service job description for this title. When the exam for this title is offered, the successful candidate must pass the exam and be reachable on the resulting eligibility list, in order to be retained.
- Plan, oversee, schedule, organize and manage the daily operations of the SCSD instructional aquatics programming
- Complete and maintain all paperwork and records as required by the SCSD and Onondaga County Health Dept.
- Supervise the maintenance of all pool supplies and equipment (on deck)
- Assist in purchasing of all pool supplies and equipment
- Conduct daily, weekly, monthly walkthroughs of all SCSD pool facilities.
- Schedule and oversee all in-service training for pool staff to maintain certification
- Schedule and oversee all in-service for new staff to get certified
- Inventory and maintain supplies and equipment necessary to run all programs
- Assist staff with purchasing of all pool supplies and equipment (on deck)
- Maintain current pool plans and emergency plans as required by the SCSD ad Onondaga County Health Dept.
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of all lifeguards
- Oversee certifications of all pool personnel and maintain accurate records on file
- Ensure all pool staff are properly certified by NYSED, Onondaga County Health Dept. and SCSD policies and regulations
- Ability to effectively manage all pool personnel
- Point person to schedule sub lifeguards when coverage is needed; as well as having to cover when necessary so instruction is not adversely affected.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled meetings
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as outlined in the Onondaga County Civil Service job description for this title.
According to the Onondaga County Civil Service job description for this title, all candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Promotion: Two (2) years of permanent competitive class status in the title of Swimming Facility Manager.
- Open Competitive: Two (2) years of work experience, or its part time equivalent, in organizing, supervising and/or conducting a specialized swimming or water sport program or in supervising the operation and maintenance of either a municipal pool or natural water swimming area.
A baccalaureate degree in Recreation or Physical Education from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of experience described above.
- Special Necessary Requirement at Time of Appointment:
- Possession of a current Lifeguard Training Certificate from the American National Red Cross or equivalent certificate from the YMCA or other certifying agency; and,
- Possession of a current CPR for Professional Rescuer Certificate from the American National Red Cross or other equivalent certifying agency on the basis of standards approved by the New York State Commissioner of Health.
- When assigned to teach swimming: Possession of the American National Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate or equivalent certificate from the YMCA or other certifying agency.
The starting salary for this position will be $35,000 - $39,000 per the Unit 11 contractual agreement
Job Categories : Administrator > Athletic/Activities Director
Athletics & Activities > Athletic/Activities Director Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210