North Wasco County School District prohibits discrimination and harassment on any basis protected by law, including but not limited to, an individual's perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or
ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, familial status, economic status, veteran's status, or because of the perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability pregnancy, familial status, economic status, or veterans' status of any other persons with whom the individual associates.
North Wasco County School District is pleased to announce that we are seeking qualified applicants for the position of Substitute Bus Driver
. We are very proud of our District and the teachers, administrators, and support staff that provides the best education possible for the children of our community. Thank you for seeking this opportunity to be part of our team. District Mission:
"Graduating all students to be college and career ready; challenging, inspiring, and empowering them to be healthy and productive citizens."The Gorge Lifestyle:
The phrase Gorge Lifestyle alone speaks volumes. Located along the banks of the mighty Columbia River, just 84 miles east of Portland, The Dalles is the eastern gateway to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Outdoor enthusiasts find the Gorge to be a perfect environment to pursue wind, snow, and whitewater sports, road and mountain biking, hunting, fishing, hiking, golf and more! Serving as a center of Native American trade for over 10,000 years and the end of the Oregon Trail, history buffs will find the area steeped in history and culture. The Dalles has a quaint and historic small town feel, with a population just over 13,000. Boasting a mere 14 inches of rain annually, The Dalles is home to bountiful agricultural products, including world-renowned cherries, grapes and wheat. It is home to Columbia Gorge Community College, which offers the first wind-power training program in the Pacific Northwest, Google's Data Center, numerous orchards, vineyards, wineries, craft breweries and a thriving business community.
NWASCO Online: www.nwasco.k12.or.usApplication Process:
All application materials must be submitted electronically, as part of your TalentEd/Recruit & Hire application. Include the following supplemental documents:
Complete District ApplicationLetter of interest;Current Resume;Two (2) recent letters of reference Hours:
3.00 to 6.50 hrs depending upon vacancy need. (Depends on Day and Route) Split shifts may apply.Job Purpose Statement/s:
The position of bus driver operates school buses and/or other District vehicles to transport students to and from school and related activities in a safe, timely, and economical manner. Qualifications: TRAINING AVAILABLE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of laws, rules and regulations governing school transportation.
- Knowledge of safe driving techniques and motor vehicle laws.
- Knowledge of the basic operation of a school bus.
- Knowledge of proper procedures to follow in case of an emergency.
- Knowledge of communication and behavior management techniques to effectively interact with students.
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid Oregon Driver's License and maintains an insurable status for automobile liability coverage.
- Ability to possess and maintain a driving record that conforms to the requirements of the State Department of Education for the issue of a School Bus Driver's Certificate.
- Ability to successfully complete classroom and on-the, road vehicle operation training and defensive driving training.
- Ability to successfully complete first aid training.
Any combination of education, training, and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described within this job descriptionLanguage Skills:
It is essential to read and interpret documents written in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. It is essential to speak English effectively to individuals or small groups, and to write simple correspondence or memos.Mathematical Skills:
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.Reading Ability:
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Reasoning Ability:
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Certificates and Licenses:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must have a current Oregon/Washington driver's license and have an acceptable driving record.
- Possess and maintain an appropriate and valid Oregon Class B Commercial Driver's License issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position, as certified by a physician.
include the following (Other duties may be assigned)
- Operates the vehicle in accordance with Oregon Revised Statutes, Department of Motor Vehicle Code, School Bus Driver's Manual, and District policies and procedures.
- Adheres to prescribed route, including time schedules and designated student pick-up and drop-off locations.
- Delivers assigned vehicle for regular maintenance and service work as per arranged schedule.
- Reports immediately any mechanical trouble, tire problems, inoperable safety equipment, or other questionable items to his/her immediate supervisor and /or bus mechanic.
- Accepts responsibility for transporting authorized students safely under all types of conditions.
- Conducts a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle and reports any deficiencies in equipment to the proper authority immediately.
- Maintains the assigned vehicle by cleaning items, such as the windshield (inside and outside), light lenses, floors and seats.
- Reports any problems or safety hazards which exist or occur on routing, such as traffic, stops, physical obstacles, and students (both on and off the bus).
- Maintains a safe and orderly atmosphere on the bus at all times by enforcing compliance with District policies through persuasion, verbal warnings, and/or completing discipline slips.
- Participates in meetings with school administrators to resolve student discipline problems.
- Completes daily maintenance checklist, including recording fuel, oil, and mileage readings, fueling the bus, and adding oil and water, as appropriate.
- Displays good judgment and discretion in operating a vehicle in all weather and traffic conditions.
- Greets students in a pleasant and friendly manner as they arrive and depart the vehicle.
- Maintains a neat, clean and courteous presence while on duty.
- Transports students, teachers and other authorized persons on special trips and activity trips in or outside of the District.
- Participates in periodic in-service training.
- Provides assistance to students with special transportation needs.
- Assists in training other drivers.
- Maintains a positive and effective working relationship with staff and students.
Biligual/Bi-Cultural applicants are highly desireable, and encouraged to apply.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Support Staff > Transportation Contact Information
- Lori Bonham, Executive Assistant - Human Resources
- 3632 W 10th St
- The Dalles, Oregon 97058