Position is responsible for training trainers and commercial drivers in all aspects of pupil transportation, and Class B truck operations; performs the duties of a permanent substitute school bus driver as needed; performs safety and training audits as well as observations in the field. Essential Duties
Meets and maintains all requirements for driving a school bus; drives a school bus on a substitute basis as needed.Obeys all traffic laws, safety regulations and transportation practices as outlined in the CDL manual, Bus Driver Handbook, School Board Policy and local ordinances.Plans, schedules, and conducts classroom, pre-tip, and on-the-road training for new school bus drivers.Trains entire fleet twice annually to meet state requirements.Assists with recertification training for senior drivers.Must maintain certification as a DMV Third Party Examiner, issue Commercial Drivers Licenses to those who successfully complete all training requirements.Must be certified by the National Safety Council as First Aid and CPR instructors; plans, schedules and conducts first aid and CPR certification training.Conducts Defensive Driving training.Conducts safety spot checks, safety training, audits and observations to include radar.Plans, schedules and conducts remedial training for drivers as required by the department to include detailed documentation of training.Audits school bus emergency evacuations at the school site; audits bus routes for safety, efficiency and driver compliance.Helps maintain driver training records and accident files.Assists with responding to citizen safety concerns.Assists with the planning, setup and execution of the Department's annual Road-e-o skills competition.Provides expertise and training for semi-annual transportation inservice.Trains other trainers to standard and conducts spot checks of training being conducted.Trains commercial drivers for other departments.Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.) Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must possess a high school diploma (GED) or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the noted knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must possess a valid commercial driver's license to operate a school bus or must acquire one prior to the completion of the division's classroom training course.
- Must possess basic first aid and CPR certification or must acquire such prior to the completion of the division's training course.
- Must possess an excellent driving record in compliance with division standards, excellent driving skills, and must successfully complete the school division's bus driver training course.
- Must have at least 4 years' experience in the operation of a school bus.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain local, state and national certifications in the following areas: DOE Driver Training Certification, First Aid and CPR Instructor, DMV Third Party Examiner Certification, NNPD certification in radar and Drug & Alcohol Reasonable Suspicion Training.
- Must possess a good knowledge of procedures and federal/state laws governing the safe operation of a school bus prior to the completion of the division's training course.
- Must possess knowledge of, or the ability to accurately and quickly learn, local street and road systems.
- Must possess knowledge of, or the ability to accurately and quickly learn, how to properly secure a wheelchair, car seat, and other restraining devices on a school bus.
- Must possess the ability to maintain student discipline and ensure that student behavior is not a distraction to safe driving.
- Must possess the ability to recognize and report any unsafe act or condition.
- Must remain in compliance with state/division regulations regarding the use of controlled substances and alcohol as applied to school bus drivers.
- Must meet the mandated physical and mental requirements established by the state and the US Department of Transportation--the school division is not permitted to employ individuals that do not meet these standards.
- Must be capable of working independently and possess the ability to understand and follow through on oral and written instructions.
- Must possess the ability to interact with students, parents, and faculty in a positive and proper manner.
For a complete job description visit http://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/hr/jobs/descriptions/Master_Trainer_Trans.pdf
Job Categories: Athletics & Activities > Trainer
Support Staff > Transportation Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Leslie Rogers, Human Resource Supervisor
- 12507 Warwick Boulevard
- Newport News, Virginia 23606