Bryant School DistrictSchool Bus Driver
Department: Transportation Job Status: Part Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Transportation Director or Assistant Transportation Director
Grade/Level: Classified Amount of Travel Required: Varies
Job Type: Regular Positions Supervised: None
Work Schedule: 178-day contract. Hours are based on bus schedule assigned and length of contract.
Transport students to/from school on pre-determined routes and on extended trips to out-of-town destinations. Ensure adherence to safety rules and maintain safe operation at all times. May assist passengers in boarding or exiting.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Follow safety rules as students board and exit buses or cross streets near bus stops.
• Comply with traffic regulations to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
• Maintain a level of student discipline on the bus that will allow the bus to be operated in a safe manner at all times.
• Report all student discipline issues to the appropriate building-level administrator and Assistant Transportation Director.
• Check the condition of a vehicle's tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order.
• Report any bus malfunctions or needed repairs in writing using proper forms.
• Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
• Read maps and follow written and verbal geographic directions.
• Maintain complete and accurate student seating chart for all bus routes and field trips.
• Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilation systems for passenger comfort.
• Maintain proper care of the bus, including bus cleanliness.
• Report delays, accidents, road hazards, or other traffic and transportation situations using mobile two-way radios.
• Report all traffic violations to the Transportation Director.
• Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, and mileage travelled.
• Relay reports of drivers failing to stop when bus signals are activated to the Transportation Director.
• Submit timesheets and field trip reports the day following a scheduled trip.
• Conduct two evacuation drills per year using both front and back doors.
• Report to the proper authorities any cases of suspected child endangerment, neglect, or abuse.
• Report suspected bullying to building principal or designee as required by Arkansas law and district policies.
• Adhere to all policies of the District as well as state and federal agencies.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Transportation Director or Assistant Transportation Director.
• Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
• Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others.
• Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
• Loyal - The trait of feeling a sense of duty to the employer.
• Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
• Punctuality - Ability to report to work on time on a day-to-day basis.
• Regular attendance - Exhibiting regular attendance in order to perform duties in a satisfactory manner.
• Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
• Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one's conduct.
• Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
• Self-Motivated - Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one's ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
• Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Experience: No prior experience necessary
Computer Skills: Shall be able to demonstrate an acceptable level of proficiency with computers and programs associated with the position.
Certifications & Licenses: Valid Arkansas Class B Commercial Driver's License with School Bus/Passenger Endorsement and Air Brakes Endorsement.
1. Successful completion of pre-employment background checks and required drug screenings.
2. Appropriate personal and professional conduct at all times while around students and other staff members.
3. Complete 24 hours of pre-employment training prior to operating a bus or attend three-hour bus safety briefing.
4. Current physical examination or DOT drug screening.
5. High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this position.
O (Occasionally) Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Position requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Manually Manipulate F
Reach Outward F
Reach Above Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel O
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs O
21-50 lbs O
51-100 lbs O
Over 100 lbs O
12 lbs or less F
13-25 lbs O
26-40 lbs O
41-100 lbs O
Other Physical Requirements
• Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth)
• Sense of Sound - Ability to understand conversations and to communicate using a bus radio.
The work environment for this position is a combination of indoor and outdoor work. The work may involve periods of temperature extremes, especially in summer when buses are not air-conditioned. The noise level can be moderate to high depending on the number of students on a bus and road noise.
The Human Resources Department has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Bryant School District reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the District may deem appropriate.
Job Category: Support Staff > Transportation Equal Opportunity Employer
Bryant School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Jeremy Lasiter, Director of Human Resources and Legal Affairs
- 200 NW 4th St
- Bryant, Arkansas 72022