BENTON HARBOR AREA SCHOOLSJOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Guidance Counselor
LOCATION: Benton Harbor High School
SUPERVISOR: Building Principal
JOB SUMMARY : Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Assisting students in social, physiological, and educational development; counseling groups of students with a focus on understanding and accepting self; assisting in developing more positive ways of dealing with students; informing parents of counseling and guidance services; researching test results for assistance in class placement; assisting ninth grade students and their parents in developing a four year plan; and assisting students in making career decisions by providing college or career information, processing applications, etc. Developing the master schedule and course catalog, and ensuring all students have appropriate schedules and transcripts.
- Valid Michigan teaching certificate, with appropriate counseling endorsement.
- Master's Degree in guidance and counseling.
- Minimum of five (5) years of successful teaching experience preferred.
- Above average past performance evaluations.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with staff and community.
- Proven ability to meet the challenges of an urban-rural, multi-racial, multi-ethnic school district.
- Other qualifications as the District may find appropriate and acceptable.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in planning/developing of the guidance program and the curriculum in relation to students' needs.
- Assist administrators and teachers in developing more positive ways of dealing with students as individuals and groups using the Michigan Comprehensive Guidance Curriculum.
- Assist the Building Principal with the career counseling component of the K-12 Pathway System by sequencing appropriate career counseling experiences at the elementary, middle and high school levels.
- Make presentations to staff and students regarding career activities and opportunities.
- Work closely with other counselors and teachers to direct services to all students.
- Assist staff and parents with students' academic/career planning (EDP).
- Assist the Building Principal in developing articulation agreements with local post-secondary institutions.
- Assist students in identifying, planning, and attaining those goals that are consistent with their aptitudes, needs, abilities, and interests.
- Promote the mental, physical, social, and emotional well being of students.
- Interpret student assessments.
- Recommend special services and/or referral to external agencies.
- Coordinate services for special population students with service providers within and external to the educational setting.
- Coordinate special services with other service providers at the local district.
- Develop a system for record keeping of required student services.
- Participate in the development of an educational environment that promotes the acquisition of career and technical skills for special population students.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Superintendent or designee.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with the parents/families tactfully and courteously and to work harmoniously with other employees.
- Ability to work with students with many different learning styles.
- Be proficient in the use of technology.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and policies.
Physical Demands : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
Terms of Employment :
One Hundred Eighty Five (185) day work year. Salary based on education and experience pursuant to the Benton Harbor Area School District policies and collective bargaining agreement.
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Building Principal.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Category: Student Services > School/Guidance Counselor Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Kayla Connor
- 1995 Union Avenue
- Benton Harbor, Michigan 49022