Please note this posting is used for ongoing recruitment throughout the 2019-2020 school year, on an as-needed basis.
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.WHO WE WANT:
Successful SCSD employees are all in for Syracuse students. They:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels;
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools and communities;
- Are willing to put the interests of students first;
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in schools and the district; and
- Build the relationships needed to serve our students well.
A Homebound Teacher will lead instruction in a positive and productive homebound setting for students who qualify due to medical approvals, disciplinary placement, and students' placed in residential facilities when appropriate. Homebound Teachers are responsible for providing instruction for a minimum of five or ten hours a week depending on grade level. Homebound Teachers are tasked with leading lessons prescribed by classroom teachers.ABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Office of Student Support Services and acting as the front line teacher for the student, the Homebound Teacher must, at a minimum:
- Demonstrate skills in oral and written communication with students, parents, and others to foster positive relationships.
- Attain required materials to instruct the students including to textbooks, assignments, and supplemental materials on a weekly basis while submitting completed assignments on the same weekly basis.
- Possess basic understanding and knowledge of current technology.
- Displays knowledge of learning styles and skill in using varied teaching methods to address student learning styles to implement instructional activities for maximum effectiveness.
- Ability to maintain appropriate student supervision so that students have a safe and orderly environment in which to learn.
- Uphold organized documentation and submit such documentation along the expected timelines.
- Maintain regular communication with The Office of Student Support Services regarding the student's progress and barriers too.
- New York State Teaching Certification
- Independent Transportation
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
In most situations, a Homebound Teacher may work up to 20 hours per week.COMPENSATION:
As of July 1, 2019, the pay rate for Homebound Teachers is $31.67 per hour. CONTACT:
The Office of Student Support Services at (315) 435-4131.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Instructional Support > Substitute: Teachers Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210