ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.
Apply your passion for urban education!
Substitute teaching in an urban district comes with many challenges and great rewards. Our substitutes say they are drawn by the diverse population and incredible potential of Syracuse students. At SCSD, you're part of a team that's all in for a big goal: becoming the most improved urban district in America. Build a Rewarding Career!
We believe great substitute teachers and substitute occupational therapists (OT) deserve recognition and ways to advance into a career in education. Syracuse substitute teachers/OT's earn $130-$150 per day, depending on location (see "Compensation" below). Many of our substitutes continue to grow and develop in becoming certified teachers that are hired in Syracuse City Schools. Those certified in teaching will be considered for long-term substitute positions.Job Overview
Substitute Occupational Therapists will be hired as Substitute Teachers, but are required to have the correct licensure (see "Qualifications" below). They will lead therapy programs in the absence of regular Occupational Therapists. They are responsible for helping students build knowledge and skills according to planned lessons and student IEP's. Once hired, substitute teachers/OT's accept day-to-day assignments across all 33 SCSD schools and 4 programs.Who We Want
Successful SCSD employees are all in for Syracuse students.Substitute Teachers and OT's:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools and communities
- Are willing to put the interests of students first
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in schools and the district
- Build the relationships needed to serve our students well
Reporting to the Principal and acting as the teacher for the day, the Substitute OT must, at a minimum:
- Work a total of either 7 hours or 8 hours and 15 minutes per day, depending on the assigned school (see below).
- Report to the school office at beginning of school day to pick up required materials/schedule of classes and at the end of the school day to return materials.
- Instructs pupils in handicrafts, educational or hobby interests planned and administered for diversion, concentration, and improvement of vocational aptitudes.
- Supervises and administers special exercises to improve pupils' physical disabilities with emphasis on preparation for vocational and educational experiences.
- Observes pupils engaging in activities and provides strategies to facilitate the pupil's full participation.
- Works with pupils to improve their performance in a variety of learning environments and to perform better by using adaptations/accommodations.
- Consults with professional school staff as to capacity and needs of pupils.
- Maintains supplies, materials and equipment; requisitions materials; makes recommendations for purchasing equipment.
- Keeps accurate, correct records on aptitudes and progress of pupils.
- Competes appropriate Individualized Education Program (IEP) documents for pupils receiving occupational therapy.
- Follow all school and classroom procedures.
- Perform other related duties as directed by Principal or Vice Principal.
To view the full job description provided by Onondaga County Civil Service, please click on the paperclip icon. Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Licensed and currently registered by the New York State Educational Department as an Occupational Therapist
- Interest in serving Syracuse City students in various schools and programs
The following schools have an extended day and pay $150 per day
- Bellevue Elementary School
- Brighton Academy
- Clary Middle School
- Corcoran High School
- Delaware Primary School
- Dr. Weeks Elementary School
- Frazer K-8 School
- Grant Middle School
- HW Smith K-8 School
- Lincoln Middle School
- McKinley-Brighton Elementary School
- Porter Elementary School
- Seymour Dual Language Academy
- STEAM at Dr. King Elementary School
- Syracuse STEM at Blodgett Middle School
- Van Duyn Elementary School
The following schools have an extended-day schedule pay $140 per day
- Franklin Elementary School
- Meachem Elementary School
- Roberts PK-8 School
All other schools have a standard 7-hour work day and pay $130 per day
Qualification for SCSD benefits after 3 months, if you work every day in the same position.
Job Categories : Instructional Support > Substitute
Instructional Support > Substitute: Teachers
Special Education > Occupational Therapist
Student Services > Occupational Therapist Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210