SUMMARY: Assists district bus drivers with the safe transportation of students with disabilities. Monitors students at designated crossings to ensure students have safe passage.
Job Tasks Descriptions
1. Monitor students during transportation, including intervening in disputes or arguments, restraining destructive or disruptive behavior and providing basic first-aid as necessary. Handle or assist with emergency evacuations when necessary, following the correct listing and positioning procedures. Monitor students at designated crossings to ensure students have safe passage.
2. Assist the bus driver with students with disabilities including safely loading ad unloading student sin wheelchairs, strollers, etc., by utilizing and operating the bus lift, correctly positioning and safely securing the wheelchair, stroller, etc., using the wheel locking system and tie down securements. Assist the bus driver by greeting walk on student s and with safely securing students who are required to use a safety vest and/or child safety restraint system following the procedures provided by district training and equipment specifications. Observe students as they take their assigned seat and throughout the bus ride to and from school..
3. Monitor and assists students to ensure a safe arrival/departure from/to the bus. Handle any changes to a different bus as student needs arise.
4. Secure special needs equipment in a safe manner to limit motion during transport, including wheel chair trays, walkers, oxygen tanks and any adaptive/assistive devices.
5. Completes and submits required paperwork/documentation as required and ensures the confidentiality of student information.
6. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
? High School Diploma or equivalent.
? Vocational school or short-term courses in conflict resolution, student behavior, and working with students with disabilities preferred.
? Working knowledge of and experience with students with disabilities is preferred.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
? Criminal background check required for hire.
? Ability to successfully complete a pre-hire, post-offer Department of Transportation physical examination.
? CPR and First Aid certifications required within one month after entering position.
? Training regarding medical health issues such as precautionary handling of student with contagious and/or communicable diseases and care, intervention and management of students who have sever medical/health conditions. Training is provided by the district as appropriate.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
? Problem solving skills.
? Ability to occasionally lift 50 pounds.
? Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
? Ability to manage multiple priorities.
? Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
? Ability to work with children with disabilities.
? Ability to promote and follow federal, state and local laws.
? Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent policies, building and department procedures.
? Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with all people including those from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds. Willingness to contribute to cultural diversity for educational enrichment.
? Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
Job Category: Support Staff > Transportation Contact Information
- Nicole Stone
- 1500 E 128TH AVE
- Thornton, Colorado 80241