SUMMARY: Plan and execute communication initiatives that increase engagement and inclusion of multicultural and underrepresented communities, in particular diverse Latino communities, within Adams 12 Five Star Schools through effective community engagement strategies and activities, clear and consistent communications, and translation and interpretation services in Spanish and English.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Community Engagement: Develop and sustain strategic relationships and partnerships with diverse Latino and underrepresented communities that support an open, transparent and welcoming environment for family involvement. Build capacity both internally and externally to achieve district goals through engagement that is participatory, inclusive, deliberative and collaborative. Create, plan and conduct district wide events that further the district's strategic plan, initiatives and engagement goals. Act as a liaison for district wide parent and community committees, including engaging with and recruiting for the Five Star Leadership Academy and other groups. Partner with Title 1 community liaisons at schools to effectively engage Latino families, and evaluate parent engagement efforts at the district level. Engage with non-profit, civic and business organizations to cultivate involvement in and support for Five Star District schools. Develop and maintain an opinion leader network by identifying key stakeholders and new support networks for the district, schools and programs. Serve as an ambassador for Adams 12 Five Star Schools at community functions as needed. Assist with government affairs as needed.
2. Communications: Develop comprehensive and strategic communication plans that address the diverse needs of underrepresented family populations across the district, particularly Latino communities. Provide insight on how district communication efforts can best support diversity, inclusion and equity. In partnership with Communications Services, write and develop multicultural marketing plans, campaigns and collateral, including inclusive pieces for programs, social media, design projects, media stories, newsletters, website material, family-school relationships surveys, human resources recruiting materials, student engagement needs, etc. Coordinate and respond to Spanish-language media requests including email, phone calls, pitches, on-camera interviews, etc.
3. Translation: Function as a communication link between non- and limited-English speaking families and district personnel. In partnership with Translation Services, provide competent and culturally sensitive Spanish-English language translation for Communications Services including high-quality written communications, verbal in-person and phone interpretation, and print materials. Serve as the designated translation specialist for district crisis and emergency communications, and serve on the Superintendent Crisis Response Group for bilingual media and community relations.
4. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism, community engagement or related field.
- Minimum of one (1) year of previous experience in translation/interpretation required, Three (3) years of translation/interpretation experience in an educational setting preferred.
- Three (3) years or more of related community engagement experience preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish required.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
- Current Colorado Driver License
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- Ability to frequently travel among district facilities.
- Successful completion of the Spanish/English translation/interpretation evaluation is required prior to hire.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Strong demonstrated proficiency in oral and written English and Spanish and ability to accurately translate and interpret both languages.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to attend events and assist during emergency situations.
- Ability to translate and/or interpret faithfully, always conveying the thought, intent, and spirit of the speaker, student while maintaining confidentiality, an impartial attitude, and professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with people from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds.
- Knowledge of diversity and cultural differences of families in the school district's community.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate organizational goals with urgency to both employees and external stakeholders with confidence and credibility.
- Ability to organize, facilitate and moderate effective two-way communication.
- Ability to speak in public and deliver presentations to internal and diverse external audiences.
- Work under pressure and within tight time frames.
- Ability to take a broad, systematic approach to evaluating business needs.
- Evidence of organizational, planning and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong proofreading/editing skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the dynamics of interpersonal relations in one-on-one and group situations.
- Customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to collaborate with staff and all district departments on various projects.
- Ability to manage multiple short- and long-term projects.
- Ability to rapidly adapt to emerging communications technologies and methodologies.
- Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, district policies and building department procedures.
- Ability to stay current with district policy, standards and training in the areas of data quality, data privacy, and cyber-security with respect to student and staff data, and related information systems.
- Ability to stay abreast of professional practices in the field of communications, public relations and community engagement through participation in professional organizations.
- Ability to frequently travel among district facilities and into the community.
Job Categories : Administrator > Public Affairs / Relations
Student Services > Translator Contact Information
- Nicole Stone
- 1500 E 128TH AVE
- Thornton, Colorado 80241