ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all - including students who fall behind or have been considered "hard to serve" for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 80% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 19% are served by the Office of Special Education and 77% are students of color.JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Behavioral Support Specialist (BSS), in collaboration with other members of the SCSD District Consultation team, designs and directs the implementation of a behavior modification intervention plan which is individualized to each child or adolescent. We are seeking individuals who are interested being trained for a job assignment that involves working with students in need of intensive behavior plans, specialized communication systems (including but not limited to facilitated communication) or academic interventions due to autism and/or temporary supports. This will involve short term and long term assignments at a variety of schools, with a variety of students over the school year. REPORTS TO:
Assistant Director of Special Education DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Behavior Support Specialist (BSS) will be expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Provide consultation and support to practitioners utilizing research-based best practice in areas such as:
- Identification of behavioral goals and intervention techniques
- Non-aversive behavioral strategies
- Assessing student needs and strengths
- Completion of Functional Behavior Assessments (FBA)
- Use of data to inform practice
- Ensuring the primary classroom service provider monitors the implemented behavioral program
- Collaborate with school teams to monitor progress of Individual Student Behavior Support Plans ensuring that the student can successfully access the core curriculum and all educational experiences throughout the day.
- Lead team meetings to review progress monitoring of behavior plans.
- Assist in the development and delivery of professional development on related topics as needed.
- Perform additional related duties as required.
- All candidates must be on the current Onondaga County Civil Service eligibility list for "Child Care Worker II" and be reachable on the list.
- Bachelor's Degree or two years of demonstrated experience supporting student behavior
- Demonstrated success working with teachers, related service providers, students and parents
- Willingness to attend trainings after the school day and/or during the summer on topics related to Crisis Prevention and Intervention, behavioral strategies, autism, instructional strategies and collaboration
- Effective communication and collaborative skills, ability to take direction and follow through with program implementation in a consistent manner
- Desire and ability to implement behavior plans, innovative communication techniques (including but not limited to FC) and/or work with communication devices and other technology
- Ability to collect and record student data accurately
The current SCSD starting salary for this position is $43,650 per the Unit 8 contractual agreement.
Job Categories : Special Education > Behavior Specialist / EBD
Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210