Please note that this posting is for anticipated openings for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. Locations will vary depending on availability. We expect to begin the screening process in January 2019.
This posting is not used for current Unit 1 staff transfer requests. A separate electronic form will be shared for tenured Unit 1 staff to request a location transfer. Please expect the form to be shared in Spring 2019.
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.WHO WE WANT:
Successful SCSD educators are passionately committed to urban education and all in for Syracuse students. They:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels;
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools or communities, and to closing the achievement gap;
- Demonstrate willingness to put the interests of students above all others;
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in their school and district;
- Adapt seamlessly to the complexities of the urban school environment; and
- Follow current trends in education policy and research, including Common Core standards, comprehensive assessment systems and data-driven instruction.
Reporting to the principal and working with the Director of Career and Technical Education, the Urban Teacher Preparation Teacher ensures that his/her students achieve ambitious academic outcomes. The teacher must effectively:
- Teach the prescribed Urban Teacher Preparation curriculum;
- Deliver clear, accurate, and rigorous lessons with a range of instructional and formative assessment techniques;
- Establish and maintain a supportive, productive, and positive learning environment with strong classroom management practices and;
- Monitor and communicate student progress while engaging in continuous reflection, adjustment and professional development.
- The teacher will perform additional related duties as required.
For further details on our expectations for classroom educators, explore the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
- Minimum of 5 years of teaching experience, preferably in an Urban setting
- Awarded tenure in previous teaching assignment
- Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction or a related field
- Earned an evaluation rating of effective or above in each of the last three years
- Hold professional or permanent teacher certification
- Be eligible to be certified as a Career and Technical Education Teacher
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- Once offered, you will be required to declare that all previous obligations with an employing school district have been met and you are not seeking this position with the intent of resigning from a previous commitment in which you have not served.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers will have the opportunity to earn additional compensation by working summer school programs.
- Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District's Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please click HERE.
Job Category : Career Education > Child Care Education Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210