ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color. MISSION OF PROGRAM:
The Syracuse City School District After-School Programs are dynamic extensions of learning that are aligned with our District's mission to: help build, support and sustain school communities that provide all students with a high-quality education that prepares them to graduate as responsible, active citizens ready for success in college and career and prepare to compete in a global economy. ABOUT THIS PROGRAM:
The District seeks certified teachers, highly qualified teaching assistants or degreed individuals who will work directly with students to deliver a cooking club at a participating middle-level after-school program. Class sizes are one adult up to fifteen students per classroom. Candidates should have the ability to lead a hands-on food preparation club that provides students with broad exposure to the science of cooking and/or the art of pastry design. Additionally, they should have the following skills:
- Have a passion for cooking and trying new recipes from different countries and cultures;
- Ability to stimulate interest in and appreciation for the various aspects of cooking activities;
- Culinary and/or pastry skills in food production, dining etiquette, food safety and nutrition;
- To instruct students on healthy recipes and making good food choices;
- Inspire students about possible career choices;
- Create relevant lessons in your course, such as food safety and cooking basics; and
- Possess good leadership and classroom management skills.
Candidates should have the ability to facilitate group activities, provide focused individual attention and foster strong relationships that positively influence children's lives. Hourly extensions are being offered to qualified staff for a minimum of 8-10 hours per week. Programs typically begin on 10/15/20 and run for 100 program days, generally Monday through Thursday with Fridays beginning the week of 1/1/20, according to a predetermined afterschool calendar. Class sizes are one teacher to fifteen students. The after school program will be led and facilitated by a designed SCSD Program Lead and supervised by a SCSD Building Administrator. Middle school teachers are encouraged to apply and accommodations can be made to assist with required Thursday professional development commitments. REPORTS TO:
Designated SCSD Program LeadDUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide classroom instruction to program participants during the after-school program;
- Create daily class lesson plans and submit to the Program's Lead Teacher in advance of lesson delivery;
- Provide high quality, project-based, academic classes aligned to grade-level curriculum and the Next Generation Learning Standards to include services such as: academic instruction in ELA, math and science, intervention and acceleration models, tutorial through SCSD approved teacher models, and interactive project-based learning.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and grade-level appropriate;
- Guide the learning process toward the achievement of the program goals and objectives as provided by the Program Lead;
- Employ instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives;
- Follow all school, after-school, and classroom procedures;
- Incorporate SCSD day and after-school social emotional learning strategies (where appropriate);
- Maintain a neat and orderly classroom, being respectful of day school teacher's classroom and SCSD property;
- Attend mandatory professional development training when offered;
- Complete annual staff survey; and
- Deliver instruction and classroom management strategies aligned with the SCSD's Code of Conduct, Character and Supports.
- Interested in serving Syracuse City students in an after-school setting at one of the after-school programs.
- Experience as culinary instructor/cooking job experience (preferred)
- NYS Certified Teacher (preferred)
- NYS Certified Teaching Assistant
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Baccalaureate Degree
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
All After-School Teachers are paid the current Unit 1 extension rate.
Job Category : Athletics & Activities > After School Programs Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210