ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color. MISSION OF PROGRAM:
The Syracuse City School District After-School Programs are dynamic extensions of learning that are aligned with our District's mission to: help build, support and sustain school communities that provide all students with a high-quality education that prepares them to graduate as responsible, active citizens ready for success in college and career and prepare to compete in a global economy. ABOUT THIS PROGRAM:
The District seeks individual who will supervise the planning, coordination and implementation of a dedicated after-school program. Extension hours can range from 3-7 hours per program day, with some additional hours for program set up and close out. Programs typically run for 100-107 program days, generally Monday through Thursday, according to a predetermined afterschool calendar. Some programs run on Fridays beginning the week of 1/1/20. The after school program will be led by the Program Liaison and supervised on-site by a SCSD Building Administrator. REPORTS TO:
SCSD Building Administrator and designated Program SupervisorDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess children's recreation needs and plans, direct and supervise staff during the implementation of an after-school or recreation program.
- Plan, direct and supervise the work of program staff in regard to student supervision, overall safety and enforcement of the SCSD Code of Conduct, Character and Supports.
- Encourage program staff to attend all District-provided trainings offered to program staff.
- Ensure that the designed after-school program is fully staffed by visually checking the staff absentee list each morning and calling in substitutes as needed.
- Coordinate staff assignments, schedule classes and student class lists during program hours.
- Meet with the individual school principals and stakeholders periodically to discuss any concerns or changes; program planning and follow the guidelines set by the principals and stakeholders in regards to after-school program and district policies and procedures.
- Recruit school staff to work part-time hours to staff the after-school program.
- Complete all associated payroll tasks not limited to the collection and review of all time cards.
- Maintain an inventory of equipment for all program supplies.
- Communicate with families and staff throughout the length of the program.
- May prepare reports and maintains all program records as needed.
- Interested in serving Syracuse City students in an after-school setting at one of the 15 after-school programs.
- NYS Certified Teacher (can be an existing or retired SCSD staff member)
- NYS Certified Teaching Assistant
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate's Degree or higher in a related program of study; or
- Two (2) school terms of full-time work experience or higher (or part-time equivalent), in the conduct of after-school or recreation programs, at least one (1) school terms of which must have been work experience involving personal responsibility for the initiation of the planning, design or development of day to day after-school or recreation activities at a site such as a park, playground or an after-school program; or,
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
All After-School Teachers are paid the current Unit 1 hourly extension rate. There are no additional benefits to the part-time job title.
Job Category : Athletics & Activities > After School Programs Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210