ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color. ABOUT THIS POSITION:
The Retention Specialist (Teacher on Specialist Assignment) will work to support students in the Syracuse City School District under the supervision of the Principal and Director of Career and Technical Education. They will follow the pathway of the selected students toward meeting both educational and work place readiness goals. REPORTS TO:
Building Principal and Career and Technical Education DirectorDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guides and counsels students on the requirements of graduation.
- Serve as a district liaison with area businesses, advisory groups, and agencies to encourage the further development of school-to-work opportunities.
- Assists district and instructional personnel with all aspects of planning both academically and career.
- Implements developmentally appropriate educational goals.
- Investigates and shares ideas regarding post-secondary options and adult services and networks with all appropriate community agencies and organizations.
- Network with parent groups for the purpose of informing them of community and state services available to students post-secondary.
- Plan and implement parent support groups about community services and opportunities to support students with disabilities.
- Meet with parents on a regular basis to advise them on program and services offered within the district, community and state agencies.
- Develop rapport with students in order to mutually explore career options and interests.
- Be responsible for providing guidance and support to students from a career and technical education perspective.
- Keep classroom instructors informed of your input and status of each student assigned.
- Communicate and inform students of career options and available resource.
- Conduct peer group sessions to problem solve employment issues.
- Assume responsibility to communicate with all staff involved with assigned students.
- Assume responsibility to maintain current knowledge of community resources.
- Assume responsibility for continued professional growth.
- Assume other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Familiarity with Career and Technical Education
- Works well with various agencies and business partners.
- Minimum of two years' experience within a youth program emphasizing transitioning from school to work.
- Proven experience accelerating measurable student learning in urban schools (preferred)
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- All candidates must possess New York State teacher certification in their subject area, or qualify to obtain it by the first date of employment. This requires at least a Bachelor's degree. Licensed teachers from other states may qualify for reciprocity.
- Please note that New York State requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 for certification, and one hired, this proof will be kept on file in the Office of Human Resources.
- Once offered, you will be required to declare that all previous obligations with an employing school district have been met and you are not seeking this position with the intent of resigning from a previous commitment in which you have not served.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time will receive an additional stipend.
- Teachers will have the opportunity to earn additional compensation by working summer school programs. Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District's Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please click HERE.
Job Categories : Career Education > Agriculture
Career Education > Allied Health
Career Education > Automotive Body Repair
Career Education > Automotive Mechanics
Career Education > Aviation Technology
Career Education > Building Maintenance
Career Education > Carpentry
Career Education > Child Care Education
Career Education > Commercial Arts
Career Education > Computer Science Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210