THE SCHOOL BOARD OF MARTIN COUNTY
DESKTOP SUPPORT TECHNICIAN
(1) High school diploma and a minimum of two (2) years successful experience in servicing and
supporting PC hardware and software in an education or enterprise environment.
(2) OR successful completion of a vocational/technical training or PC hardware vendor-supplied
program of study of six (6) or more weeks in one of the areas described above and one (1) year
successful servicing and supporting PC hardware and software in an education or enterprise
(3) Industry certifications in one or more of the following: MOS, MTA, COMPTIA A+ and
(4) Valid Florida driver's license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Installation and troubleshooting knowledge of desktop operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows and
MacOS. Familiar with mobile computing devices such as Android & Apple tablets and Chromebook.
Installation and troubleshooting knowledge of common workstation hardware and peripherals such as printers,
document cameras, interactive whiteboards, data projectors and other audio visual equipment. Installation and
troubleshooting knowledge of enterprise applications such as Microsoft Office. Familiar with desktop
management and imaging tools such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager. Knowledge of LAN
and WAN network protocols. Provide support and mentoring for SST and E1/E2 technicians. Ability to
manage time wisely. Ability to communicate orally in a clear and supportive manner. Ability to work
effectively with a variety of people and cooperatively as a member of a team. Ability to analyze, troubleshoot
and provide solutions.
REPORTS TO: Coordinator of Computer Operations and Technical Support
To provide technical support services for all school and other District locations.
(1) Install, configure, and maintain District PCs, software, and associated peripheral equipment.
(2) Provide technical services and support for Computer Based Testing (CBT) activities.
(3) Problem identification, troubleshooting, and resolution on District PCs, software, hardware and
classroom technology equipment.
(4) Assist users with identifying problems and provide solutions that enable the user to be more
(5) Document problems, solutions and time spent for each task using established procedures.
(6) Demonstrate initiative in the performance of assigned responsibilities.
(7) Meet and deal effectively with the staff members, administrators and other contact persons using tact
and good judgment.
(8) Follow attendance, punctuality and other qualities of an appropriate work ethic.
(9) Ensure adherence to good safety standards.
(10) Maintain confidentiality regarding school/workplace matters.
(11) Model and maintain high ethical standards.
(12) Maintain expertise in assigned area to fulfill position goals and objectives.
(13) Participate successfully in the training programs offered to increase skill and proficiency related to
©EMCS BOARD APPROVED: 4/15/14
DESKTOP SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Continued)
Inter/Intra-Agency Communication and Delivery
(14) Maintain liaison with vendors to ensure proper operation, installation and maintenance of equipment
(15) Exercise service orientation when working with others.
(16) Keep supervisor informed of potential problems or unusual events.
(17) Use effective, positive interpersonal communication skills.
(18) Respond to inquiries and concerns in a timely manner.
(19) Serve on committees as required or appropriate.
(20) Exhibit interpersonal skills to work as an effective team member.
(21) Follow federal and state laws as well as School Board policies, rules and regulations.
(22) Demonstrate support for the school district and its goals and priorities.
(23) Demonstrate initiative in identifying potential problems or opportunities for improvement.
(24) Prepare or assist in preparation of all required reports and maintain all appropriate records.
(25) Participate in cross-training activities as required.
(26) Perform other duties as assigned.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently
and/or up to 10 pounds of force as needed to move objects.
See Job Description Supplement for Codes
Physical Activity - occasionally D, E, G, I, J, K, L, M, N
- frequently A, B, C, F, H, O, Q, S, T, U, R
- constantly P, V
Working Conditions B, H (DC voltage)
Materials, Tools and Equipment A-H, N (computer equipment), P, R, U
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary and benefits shall be paid consistent with the district's approved compensation plan.
Length of the work year and hours of employment shall be those established by the district.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of
Essential Performance Responsibilities
©EMCS BOARD APPROVED: 4/15/14
Job Categories: Administrator > Technology
Support Staff > Maintenance Contact Information
- Maurice Bonner
- 500 E OCEAN BLVD
- Stuart, Florida 34994