Assistant Principal OpeningDate: 17/18 SY ClosingDate: Until Position is FilledSalary:
Competitive Salary and Benefits Location:
Chicago,IL Reports To:
Principal How to Apply:
https://platform.teachermatch.org/jobsboard.do?districtId=569404168 Position Overview
The Assistant Principal is the school's ancillaryleader whose primary responsibility is to support, via a leadership role, theschool's instructional strategy and to ensure its successful execution. Throughthis means, the Assistant Principal accepts responsibility for the achievementof the school's academic goals. In addition, manage the day-to-day schooloperations.
The Assistant Principal is also the school'sancillary visible leader and is responsible for supporting the Principal inengaging key constituents - students, staff, parents/caregivers, and community- to assist in the creation of a school environment that empowers students toachieve ambitious goals, thus preparing them for the finest area high schools,colleges, and lifelong learning.
The Assistant Principal assists the Principal, asdirected, in the academic, administrative, and counseling activities of theschool. CoreResponsibilities
Student Achievementand Success:
- Meet targetsfor overall school achievement and academic progress for all individualstudents
- Monitor and track trends in student performance across all academic areas, including specialized instruction and English Language Learning, to ensure school performance toward meeting Aceros vision and mission
- Providesocial-emotional resources to meet students' needs
- May teachcourses, as needed
- Be a visibleleader of the school by supporting the Principal in providing communication toparents/caregivers, students, staff,community members, and, when necessary and appropriate, at school events
- Provide oversight of the standards, policy, and protocols set forth in the Acero Schools Student Handbook to ensure that they are maintained by students, families, and teachersand, when necessary and appropriate, support the Principal in overseeing thisimplementation
- Provide oversight of the standards, policy, and protocols set forth in the Acero Employee Manual to ensure that they are maintained by staff, and when necessary and appropriate, support the Principal in overseeing this implementation
- Oversee thework of the Instructional Coach(es) toensure consistency with the defined characteristics of the Instructional Coachrole and teacher performance
- Offerancillary presence and communication with the with Acero support staff asnecessary and appropriate
- Driveinstruction and support teacher improvement towards meeting performance goalmetrics
- Assist inthe creation of the school's instructional strategic plan and ensure itsexecution
- Support Principal'splan to sustain a culture of excellence among school staff to carry through keyareas of Acero culture, student discipline, classroom management, assessment,data analysis, instructional planning, instructional delivery, and use of the curriculum to improve teachers' skill levels.
- May assistPrincipal in the monitoring of local school budget and facilities, as directed.
Personnel Management and Development:
- Drive all work in personnelmanagement and development with the mindset of supporting staff with studentsuccess and performance in mind.
- Support the Principal with thesupervision of school personnel in all aspects of work and evaluation
- Oversee the implementation of thesupports and interventions used in the Performance Improvement Plans.
- Review and compile evidence regularlyfrom teacher performance evaluations provided by an Instructional Coach;conduct observations, as well as individual and group meetings, supporting thePrincipal, who holds final responsibility for the evaluation of each teacher
- Support the Principal with themanagement, supervision, and support of school staff, including, but notlimited to, the selection, retention and dismissal (non-renewal) of teachers
- May develop and lead in-serviceprofessional development training
- Communicate with all departments to schedule school and community events/field trips.
- Free and Reduced Lunch Program (FRM): Oversee the collection process of the Federal Free & Reduced Lunch program applications into the Online Data Acquisition (ODA) program located in the CPS IMPACT system.
- Student Records: Oversee that student academic/health records are in compliance with CPS and Acero regulations. Both manual and electronic.
- PowerSchool & CPS IMPACT : Oversee that student academic/health records are in compliance with CPS and UCSN regulations. Both manual and electronic.
- Verify accurate attendance records for all students in dual systems (PowerSchool & CPS IMPACT) by consistently conducting audits to ensure accuracy.
- Assist in yearly lottery process as well as coordinate the collection of enrollment materials and transfer students.
- Works closely with School Leadership to ensure enrollment at school is filled to maximum capacity.
- Work with School Leadership team to develop emergency plans and ensures that Acero Schools is in compliance with all required school drills (Fire, Bus evacuation, Law Enforcement, Allergen, and Shelter-in-Place).
- Work with School Leadership/Security Guard and Office Coordinator to implement and ensure that proper visitor Acero policy is enforced.
- Promote and maintain a positive and effective school climate by ensuring that all interactions with staff, students, parents, and the public at large are prompt, efficient, helpful, and friendly.
- Establish and maintain a professional, cooperative working relationship with all stakeholders including but not limited to parents, students, staff, and neighbors, parishes, community organizations, vendors.
- Develop and monitor student fees in PowerSchool database.
- Manage incoming money and deposit all funds on a weekly basis.
- Place and receive purchase orders via Web Portal
- Collect, submit and follow up with check requests and reimbursements.
- Procure supplies and materials for the purpose of maintaining availability of required items
- Develop and maintain school traffic plan to ensure student safety and steady traffic flow during morning arrival and dismissal hours
- Develop and enforce school and non-school parking lot plans. Recruit and manage parent patrol/volunteers
- Coordinate and facilitate field trips, school events and facility usage.
- Bachelor's degree (required)
- Master's degree or higher in education or related field(strongly preferred)
- Minimum three years teaching experience (strongly preferred)
- Minimum one year of school leadership or managementexperience (strongly preferred)
- Proven track record of academic progress of students underhis/her leadership
- Passionate about urban education and demonstrated expertisein building a positive school culture
- Valid Illinois Professional Educator's License (stronglypreferred)
- Valid Illinois General Administrative or PrincipalEndorsement (preferred)
- Must hold permanent residency in the United States
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Physically demands require the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, walk around the classroom 60% of the day. In addition, walking up and down stairs several times a day. Must be able to lift 15 to 20 pounds for short periods of time and push and pull 15 to 20 lbs. Working Conditions
Majority of work performed in a school environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization-sponsored events and meetings.
NOTE: The foregoing list of essential duties and responsibilities is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Acero Schools is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals. Acero Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
Job Categories: Administrator > Assistant Principal/Dean/Head
Administrator > Assistant/Deputy Superintendent
Administrator > Director/Coordinator/Manager
Administrator > Principal/Dean/Head of School
Administrator > Superintendent
Administrator > Facilities Contact Information
- Elizabeth Hammel
- 209 W. Jackson Blvd
- Ste 500
- Chicago, Illinois 60606