Small Steps Nurturing Center, a two-site preschool in Houston, seeks an experienced, passionate and instructionally-focused Campus Director for their Gulfton campus.
Small Steps Nurturing Center’s mission is to provide an exemplary early childhood program to instill and foster the social, emotional, physical, intellectual, and spiritual growth of economically at-risk children and their families.This Campus Director will create a culture of excellence, professionalism and deep care for students, staff and the Small Steps community. They will be responsible for cultivating strong relationships with teachers, staff, and families, leading with a high degree of professionalism, and managing daily school operations in accordance with school policies including ensuring that all licensing and accreditation standards are met.
Our ideal campus leader has expertise in early childhood pedagogy, a high degree of professionalism, and is an excellent, clear communicator. They are an exemplary manager of self and others, able to hold themselves and their team to high expectations and able to operate with a large degree of independence and autonomy. In addition, they are experienced leading diverse teams to impressive academic outcomes, building relationships with students and families and contributing to the positive culture of a campus.
Campus Leadership: Programmatic and Planning (50%)
• Create and communicate accountability structures for teachers, staff, and families to partner in meeting the needs of the children
• Build and maintain a high performing campus culture grounded in proactive communication and a shared commitment to students
• Supervise teachers and other program staff to ensure successful implementation of Small Steps’ program in the classroom and campus-wide
o Implement and assess a high-quality education program aligned with state licensing and accreditation standards in collaboration with others
• Serve as a spiritual leader infusing the teachings of Jesus in prayer and devotionals
• Strategically recruit, develop, celebrate and retain the best staff and teachers for Small Steps’ children resulting in a positive, productive school culture and strong morale
• Coordinate, revise and maintain schedules for day-to-day responsibilities of teaching staff
o Includes coordinating substitute coverage and ensuring that classrooms/playground/cafeteria are fully staffed daily in accordance with licensing and accreditation standards
o Review and approve timesheets and paid-time-off requests for all program staff
• Ensure that all licensing and accreditation requirements are met and city permits are maintained
• Serve as the Director in Charge for licensing purposes
Professional Development: Coaching, Training and Collaborative Partnerships (40%)
• Serve as the primary instructional leader for all on-campus staff
o Ensure all teachers are receiving robust and ongoing observations, and both 1:1 and whole group coaching and support to increase effectiveness and improve student outcomes
o Communicate and invest staff in the Small Steps programmatic vision
• Cultivate strong relationships with community partners, including volunteers
• Work collaboratively with advancement team for tours and projects
• Facilitate, maintain and evaluate professional development for staff
Organizational Leadership: Strategy and External Engagement (10%)
• Assist in the strategic planning of annual and long-term program goals
• Develop and implement strategies for student recruitment and enrollment
• Serve as the liaison with the facilities supervisor for St. Luke’s – Gethsemane.
Performs all other duties as assigned by the Director of Programs or Executive Director
Qualifications & Competency Requirements
● Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school) required
○ Field of Study: Child Development, Early Childhood, or Education EC-12 preferred
● 3 years of teaching experience required; in a preschool setting required
● 3 plus years of administrative experience preferred
● Experience in direct supervision and working with low-income or Title 1 schools preferred
• Thrive under pressure: Ability to navigate competing priorities and a fast-paced campus environment with patience and a relationship orientated approach
• Operate with high degree of integrity: Ability to act and communicate personal ethics to build professional trust
• Diversity oriented: Experience building relationships across lines of difference, including race, gender, ability, title, socio-economic statues, etc.
• Creative problem solver: Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Department: Program-Academic Job Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt Reports To: Director of Programs
Travel Required: Between campuses, home visits
Positions Supervised: Teachers, Receptionist, SET Therapist, Program Support Specialist
Salary: $65,000-75,000, with some flexibility
Work Schedule: Year round, excluding school breaks and first two weeks of July
M-F 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. On designated weekly closing day, departure time is 5:30 p.m. or when the last child leaves. (As an exempt employee, one can reasonably expect to work more than the core hours stated).