One-on-One Aides work with children who possess special needs, one-on-one. They support the academic and social success of these children by providing 1:1 paraprofessional services throughout the school day, guided by a student's teachers.Required Certifications / Qualifications
Teacher certification is not required for the One-On-One Aide position. However, candidates must, at minimum, have completed 2 years of college and possess an Associate's or higher degree. Possessing a BA, or possessing 60 college credits and working towards a Bachelor's Degree and/or some teaching experience would be a major plus. It is also important to have good communications skills, basic administrative skills, and to be a team player who possesses maturity, a strong work ethic, and a whatever-it-takes to help children attitude.Important Personal Qualities:
One-On-One Aide Responsibilities:
- A desire to work with special needs children and a commitment to the academic and social growth of the children with whom you work;
- A commitment to the mission and goals of the school, including its goal of preparing every student for college and developing every student's values and character;
- Belief in a structured and predictable environment for children and a commitment to education standards, statewide testing, and accountability;
- A willingness to be an authority in the classroom and enforce the rules; and
- A commitment to building student relationships and engaging parents/guardians in their children's education.
- Assist a student's teachers in providing classroom accommodations;
- Collaborate with our special education coordinator and with a student's teachers by implementing interventions they have designed to support the student and to improve student focus and behavior;
- Reinforce and model Empowerment Academy's core values and standards of behavior for your students, following the example of our school leaders, teachers and other school staff;
- Receive coaching positively and participate in professional development activities designed by school leaders to improve your professional practice, especially as it relates to student behavioral management, student instruction, student social development and school culture;
- When working with a student on an academic exercise, do not short-circuit student thinking by providing the answer, such as through spelling out a word. Help the student grow by challenging the student to use skills that have been learned, such as phonetically sounding out the letters in a word.
- Perform other duties to support the ongoing development of a student, classroom, or our school environment, as deemed appropriate by our teachers, special education coordinator, and school leadership.
- Be extremely flexible and fill other roles as needed, as would a substitute.
- Understand that your schedule may change day to day.
As equal opportunity employers, BelovED and Empowerment Academy hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Welcome to BelovED Community Charter School!
We are a high-performing charter school located in Jersey City, NJ -- an exciting, culturally vibrant city immediately across the Hudson River from lower Manhattan. At many truly excellent schools, even the most committed teachers can feel burned out after a few years. At our schools, however, we endeavor to mesh the high expectations culture and successful classroom management practices of America's top-performing charter school operators with a proven education program and with teacher supports that are designed to avoid teacher burnout, so educators can remain charged and enthusiastic throughout an entire career. If you are an experienced urban teacher with excellent classroom management skills, if you have a record of helping inner-city children beat the odds and achieve to their highest potential, if you love the sense of purpose and accomplishment one receives from this extremely meaningful work - but you also want an opportunity to spend time with your own children and to have a life outside of school - then we might be for you. Learn more about us... Contact Information
- BelovED Community Charter School
- 508 Grand Street
- Jersey City, New Jersey 07302
- Phone: (201) 744-9775
- Fax: Apply at www.belovedccs.org/careers
- Email: click here