Pay Grade: 4534
Position Control: 3419
Department: Various School Sites
Accountable To: Principal
FLSA Status: Non-ExemptCreation/Revision Date:
July 24, 2019Summary:
Under direct supervision, incumbent(s) provides assistance to teachers in a classroom environment designed for students with emotional disabilities, by providing materials and handouts to special education students, working with special needs students individually or in groups on special projects or assignments, demonstrating skills and techniques, communicating with parents regarding specific concerns, providing input to lesson plans and daily activities, photocopying materials and preparing classrooms for various activities. In addition, incumbent(s) monitors students on the playground and in the cafeteria.Essential Functions:
- Works with special education students individually or in-groups on special projects or assignments such as academic, social, emotional, functional, language, and behavior skills and activities of daily living. Demonstrates skills and techniques in order to aid in student learning. Monitors student behavior and enforces school and classroom standards and policies.
- Maintains discipline by monitoring student behavior and taking the appropriate action including determining when to give a warning and when a formal notice should be written. Prepares incident documents including disciplinary actions and documentation for unusual incidents.
- Monitors students and ensures safety on the playground and the cafeteria area before school, during breakfast and lunch, and during recess. Reports any unusual incidents or injury to school administration. Accompanies students from classrooms to other areas including the library, playground, and cafeteria and to buses to ensure orderly behavior.
- Prepares classrooms for activities including setting up tables and chairs and handing out materials. Performs clean up after activities including picking up toys and trash, washing tables and chairs and rearranging furniture.Actively participates in professional development activities that are provided by the District and/or by professional development organizations.
- Communicates with parents regarding progress and concerns including improvements in specific academic areas, truancy and behavioral problems. Interprets communications between teachers and parents when necessary.
- Assists special need student(s) in feeding, toileting/diapering, physical activities, instructions, and behavior management that remediates severe academic, emotional, and behavioral difficulties into a positive environment. Assists with adaptive equipment.
- Copies and prepares educational materials.
- Assists teachers in planning and coordinating lesson plans by sharing ideas and providing feedback from the students.
- Performs other duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) prior to being hired;
- Completion of 60 College Credit Hours, Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university, or successfully passed a Arizona State approved paraprofessional test; offered by WESD at no cost and must pass prior to being hired, Please contact HR for more information) - (Not required at Abraham Lincoln and Lookout Mountain schools.)
- Must receive CPR certification within thirty days of hire date.
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Six months experience working with children in a learning environment.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Demonstrating child development theories;
- Knowing basic mathematical concepts;
- Using typical activities within a classroom environment;
- Working with children;
- Knowing special needs of students;
- Demonstrating appropriate techniques and procedures;
- Facilitating group activities in a learning environment;
- Reviewing completed work assignments;
- Preparing classroom for various activities;
- Reading and following lesson plans;
- Applying school rules, policies and procedures;
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
- Must either be certified or able to certify in physical management such as Crisis Intervention Prevention Intervention (CPI)
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.Working Conditions:
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Categories : Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA
Special Education > Special Education Assistant Contact Information
- Lydia Garcia
- 4650 W Sweetwater Ave
- Glendale, Arizona 85304