Please note that this posting is for anticipated openings for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. Locations will vary depending on availability. We expect to begin the screening process in January 2019.
This posting is not used for current Unit 1 staff transfer requests. A separate electronic form will be shared for tenured Unit 1 staff to request a location transfer. Please expect the form to be shared in Spring 2019.
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color.JOB DESCRIPTION:
The School Social Worker applies theory, principles and methods to assist in the prevention, assessment, evaluation, formulation and implementation of a plan of action based on student and family needs and strengths. The School Social Worker intervenes to address the mental, social, emotional, behavioral, and developmental conditions and disabilities experienced by students and families within our school communities as outlined in the Syracuse City School District Practitioners Model for Evaluation. Due to the necessity of working with families and community based agencies to provide and/or coordinate comprehensive services for students and families, a District's school social worker's work hours may at times occur outside traditional school hours requiring a flexible work schedule. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Link students and families with school and community resources
- Attend parent teacher conferences as needed.
- Assist in school-wide attendance initiatives and report on collected data
- Make home visits as needed
- Encourage families to effectively participate in their child's education
- Help families understand school policies, services, and programs
- Provide Crisis intervention
- Provide Suicide assessments / evaluation
- Refer Child Protective cases and make referrals to mental health agencies
- Provide Classroom discussions and presentations
- Provide Individual and group counseling of students and as indicated on student IEPs
- Collaborate with school teams to develop and monitor Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals, Functional Behavioral Assessments, and behavior plans
- Actively participate in various meetings with families, school teams, and multiple agencies as needed
- Facilitate Student Intervention Team meetings and review data collected at regular intervals
- District crisis team member
- Collaborate with all school personnel to assess student's social/emotional obstacles to academic success
- Consult with therapists, doctors, parents, child protective, law guardians, family court
- Complete social histories as part of evaluation team and document attempts to meet with families
- Develop/facilitate/coordinate prevention activities and intervention strategies that include Non-Violence services, programs and training
- Is familiar with DASA - Dignity For All Act, & collaborates with various parties to report or investigate concerns
- Work collaboratively with college/university partners on District initiatives
- Supervise social work practicum students from local colleges or universities as approved by building administrator, Related Service Supervisor, and social worker.
- Master's Degree in social work
- New York State certification for School Social Worker
- Provide own transportation throughout the community (mileage is reimbursed with submission of accurate records)
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current starting salary for this position is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Social Workers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time may receive an additional stipend.
- Social Workers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District's Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please please click HERE.
Job Category: Student Services > Social Worker Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse, New York 13210