ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian is a PreK-8th grade school located in Washington DC’s vibrant U Street Corridor. Our mission is to inspire a passion for learning in our students and to help them build their self-confidence and self-respect through academic achievement.
Our 650+ students are a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, African, and White students. Almost 30% of our students are English language learners, and we have one of the largest Hispanic populations in DC charter schools. We are committed to building a community of teachers and staff who reflect the rich diversity of our student body.
Meridian is committed to serving families from our local communities, and one-third of our students live within a half-mile of the school. The U Street Corridor was once the heart of black culture in DC and offers a tangible historical archive for our students, and Columbia Heights is one of the most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods in the District. We are also proud of the fact that Meridian is a school of choice for parents— all eight wards of the city are represented among our student population.
Meridian’s strengths include two beautiful and historic campuses, with nearby outdoor and recreational grounds; state of the art technology for students and teachers; updated and aligned curricula; an academic program laser-focused on student growth, achievement, and social-emotional development; extensive professional development and support for teachers and leaders; and a school culture grounded in student achievement, collaboration, and student-centered learning.
Join us as we continue to take Meridian from good to great!
For additional information about Meridian visit mpcs-dc.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing critical support to the Director of Operations. The Administrative Assistant works in coordination with the Operations team to ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner as well as lead various initiatives for the Director of Operations. The Administrative Assistant role is a full-time, salaried, 12-month position.
Under the guidance of the Director of Operations, the Administrative Assistant will perform specific responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the activities and projects emanating from the Director of Operations and other designated Operations Managers
- Handle and manage administrative duties to schedule meetings as well as manage calendar of Director of Operations
- Open, discard and distribute incoming mail, sending outgoing mail, as needed
- Serve as a point of contact for all Director of Operations visitors
- Establish positive and professional relationships via communication with all Meridian PCS staff
- Maintain Director of Operations critical files within a secure area of office
- Draft and customize letters for the Director of Operations
- Create and edit agendas for Operations team meetings for Director of Operations and other designated Operations Managers
- Create various dashboards for Director of Operations to help with internal tracking
- Create and maintain a database to house all critical operations documents
- Ensure all Operations Managers are meeting deadlines for all deliverables issued by school and external agencies
- Support the Front Desk during peak times and also provide coverage when the front desk associate is not available
- Any additional duties assigned to help support the operations team
- Lead or serve as a critical team player on school wide initiatives related to school recognition programs (ie. birthdays, work anniversaries and special school recognition events)
- Work with Director of Operations in efforts to have disciplined processes to create and track progress of assigned special projects against organizational priorities and goals
- Support the Director of Operations workflow management- providing capacity for the organization by taking ownership of key cross functional tasks and projects
- Maintain the room assignments and school directory for both campuses
Human Resources Support
- Support the Human Resources Manager in various personnel matters such as filing, making copies and scheduling of meetings
- Key data into ADP and various HRIS for Human Resources Manager during peak hiring seasons
- Maintain the homepage in ADP to ensure key events are updated for school
Successful candidates will possess the following:
Required Education and Experience
- Associate’s degree preferred by not required and/or
- Minimum of five years of experience working in a non- profit organization in Operations/Business Administration or Finance
- Must be able to work with confidential information
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish (speaking/writing) is a plus, but not required
- Administrator of Medication (AOM) training within 6 months of employment
Required Core Competencies
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to communicate persuasively in positive and negative situations
- Capacity to accept feedback from others, make decisions, and exhibit sound and accurate judgment
- Ability to work independently or with others in a team approach
- Work comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent organizational skills and timely completion of tasks
- Math Aptitude: Comfort with numbers and accounts payable
- Knowledge and experience using Windows, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Google Documents
- Conscientiousness: Understanding that everything going out the door matters to the customer; striving for excellence
- Solid writing skills
- Customer Orientation: Good customer service skills with internal and external customers, attention to detail
- Dedication: Being persistent, punctual and dependable, with a positive, can do attitude
- Sense of Urgency: Understanding the urgency of situations and address matters promptly
- Flexibility/Adaptability: Open to change and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Honesty: Trustworthiness with company resources and information
Physical Demands of the Position
- These physical characteristics are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job safely. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Mobility sufficient to move about, stand, and/or sit for extended periods, and access all locations in the work environment
- Manual skill to appropriately control and manipulate objects, tools, materials, and equipment used on the job, including a telephone and a computer
- Flexibility and strength to reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop
- Ability occasionally to lift and or move up to 50 pounds
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal room levels, and to hear and understand speech on the telephone
- Ability to speak clearly in audible tones so that others may understand
- Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus and peripheral vision
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
SALARY AND BENEFITS
A recent TNTP Insight Survey of our teachers placed our staff’s satisfaction with compensation in the top quartile of all charter schools in DC. We also lead the charter sector in compensation transparency and publish our salary scales for teachers, apprentice teachers, and dedicated aides here.
Meridian teachers and staff are compensated competitively for their time and have opportunities to earn additional income through leadership opportunities at the school level, offering extracurricular clubs and sports for students, and facilitating tutoring programs.
HOW TO APPLY
Do you embody a love of learning? Do you believe in the importance of educating the whole child? Do you want to join a collaborative team driving Meridian’s continued growth from good to great?
Apply to the Operations Administrative Assistant position today!
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Meridian Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons.
Meridian Public Charter School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School’s EEO policy prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Meridian PCS prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with a disability. Under this policy, equal employment opportunity is required in recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as required by applicable law.