KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/ .Job DescriptionThe Opportunity
The Director of Strategic Expansion - Community Engagement will be a member of the Advancement Team and will directly report to the Managing Director of Strategic Expansion. The Director of Strategic Expansion - Community Engagement will be responsible for leading stakeholder mapping in new sites, community engagement and advocacy strategies and planning, outreach and other activities for new site launches.
Successful candidates for this role will be able to demonstrate ability to work in complex situations, experience bringing together stakeholders with differing opinions and finding a way forward. While strong people and project management skills are a necessity in this role, the successful candidate will also be a proven problem solver who can leverage impact and influence to find clarity in complex situations.
This position may be based out of the Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio offices. Some travel will be required.Key Responsibilities
- Communication & Team Champion: Champion and communicate consistently and with convection around the work of the Strategic Scaling Team and the importance of multiyear planning, growth, and strategic projects to allow the organization to scale effectively.
- Internal Stakeholder Management: Key liaison to other teams that manage community engagement and advocacy in existing regions. Leads collaboration with these teams and investigation of new strategies and processes. Intentionally build buy-in and gather feedback on the project when appropriate. Build influence across KIPP Texas to ensure project success.
- External Stakeholder Management: Own stakeholder mapping for new sites and deeply understand the communities KIPP Texas is interested in creating a presence in; build trusting relationships with community leaders in new sites.
- Strategic Thinking and Project Design: With support from other members of the Strategic Scaling Team, create a unified vision for how KIPP Texas growth fulfills our mission of working together with families and communities. Build strategy aligned to this newly created vision. Provide Expansion Research Analyst with perspective on community research.
- Project Design, Execution and Progress Monitoring: Monitor progress of model design; Elevate dependencies and risks to Managing Director of Strategic Expansion. Bring solutions to areas of concern; proactively progress monitor and communicate deadlines with clarity.
- Synthesize Takeaways from Data and Lived Experience: Balance a data-driven, analytical, and rational problem solving skill set with the understanding that people and relationships matter. Utilize both qualitative and quantitative data synthesis to formulate recommended solutions on the right path forward. Demonstrate an adaptive mindset with an ability to concurrently see the big picture while focusing on the details (can see the forest for the trees).
- Team Culture: Contribute to team culture through authentic engagement and participation in meetings and retreats. Participate actively in development opportunities, including diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) sessions, and lead sessions for the team as asked and/or interested. Volunteer as interested to serve on the Advancement team's Connection Committee. Give honest, constructive feedback via established feedback mechanisms (e.g., staff surveys) to ensure the continued improvement of the team and the organization. Seek to work by the values of the organization and to act in alignment with the Advancement Team's agreements. Represent the Advancement Team responsibly to other stakeholders within and outside the organization.
Additional InformationCompensation and Benefits
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year university.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience with scaling CMOs or with multi-site operations.
- Experience leading cross-functional projects/initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to have impact and influence across multiple functional areas (e.g., academics, talent, finance, operations, etc.).
- Experience fostering strong working relationships with C-level executive team members.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent listening and verbal communication skills.
- Strong stakeholder management and service-orientation.
- Self-directed and results-oriented, demonstrating initiative and follow-through.
- Experience with charter or charter-like schools, non-profit strategy, non-profit consulting, and/or with students in low-income, urban environments is required.
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Ability to model KIPP's values at all times.
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas' competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.