KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy,
and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.Job Description
Every member of the Team & Family at KIPP Texas Public Schools plays a critical role in ensuring our students have the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose - college, career and beyond. Our educators are passionate advocates for their students and their families, working tirelessly to ensure that our students have access to opportunity. In our classrooms and across the KIPP family we embrace, honor and celebrate our differences across several characteristics that construct our unique identities in our little and big KIPPsters. We are especially committed to attracting and developing individuals who share the life experiences of our students because we believe the best work we do is grounded in the realities and experiences of our families and KIPPsters. A KIPP Texas Public Schools Dean will provide assistance to the School Leader with the overall administration of instructional programs and the school. A Dean may focus on a specific area such as faculty, students, or culture or may handle all areas on the campus.MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Depending on the focus of the position, the Dean/AP will be responsible for:Instructional Management
• Participate in the development and evaluation of educational programs.
• Encourage and support development of innovative instructional programs, helping teacher pilot such efforts when appropriate.
• Assess curriculum by monitoring syllabi, course overviews, and lesson plans.
• Maintain internal and external assessment systems and help teachers use assessment data to further improve the quality of instruction
• Manage academic support programs such as Saturday School, tutoring, service learning work, etc.School Culture
• Regularly check in with faulty to help mediate conversations between faulty members and assess overall morale at school
• Support Leadership with faculty reward programs and activities.Faculty Management
• Observe employee performance, record observations and conduct evaluations.
• Conduct one on ones teachers and grade level or department chairs.
• Collaborate and advise teachers on classroom management methods and interventions
• Ensure the continuous professional development of all staff by collaborating with other Leadership Team members to design, develop, and execute individual and staff-wide professional development
• Assist principal in interviewing, selecting and orienting new staffStudent Management
• Monitor overall academic progress for students
• Intervene with support when students have challenges with attendance, academics or discipline
• Work with students to set goals and increase student motivation
• Administer discipline actionsParent Outreach
• Assist teachers to develop strong partnerships with parents by enhancing communications
• Work closely with faculty to develop strategic plans to monitor compliance of the Commitment to Excellence on behalf of the parents and students.School Management
• Maintain and monitor compliance in areas such as Special Education, 504, LPAC and At-Risk students.
• Coordinate and manage state, district, and local testing.
• May be responsible for the school in the principal's absence.QualificationsEducation and Knowledge:
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
• 2 academic school years of secondary school teaching experience
• Must be considered highly-qualified based on NCLB guidelines, if applicable
• Previous leadership experience preferredSkills:
- Must be able to work Monday through Friday, up to 60h/week, including occasional evening/weekend events.
- Experience is required and must include the following:
- Working with an acute awareness of the skills and knowledge necessary for students to acquire in high school core classes in order to be successful in competitive universities and demonstrates an understanding of the appropriate levels of rigor at each grade level required for vertical alignment in grades 5 through 12;
- Establishing, coaching, and supporting the development and implementation of cross-curricular literacy strategies, which includes STEM, humanities, and extra-curricular activities;
- Analyzing and leveraging data in order to make instructional shifts that yield improved classroom systems and instructional practices that ultimately result in students' academic improvement; and
- Using restorative practices to create a human-centered and asset-based classroom experience that leverages students' strengths, celebrates their growth, and is tailored to their needs (while still holding them accountable), so that they see the value they bring to the content, feel valued and respected, and stay engaged in their educational outcomes.
As a full time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices, including medical, dental, and vision options, as well as life insurance, fertility, and disability plans starting as low as $25/month.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability