DIRECTOR OF DATA
ABOUT THE KAUFFMAN SCHOOL
The Ewing Marion Kauffman School is a free, public charter school serving more than 1,200 students in 5th through 12th grades. Focused on student achievement and strong character, the school’s mission is summarized in three words: create college graduates. The school serves a student population of which 87% qualify for free and reduced lunch and 90% identify as students of color. Students are accepted by a lottery that prioritizes the six highest-need zip codes within the district. In 2019, the Kauffman School graduated its first, and founding, class of students – 100% of seniors were accepted to a four-year college or university and 72% of students will be the first in their families to attend college.
The Kauffman School seeks results-driven and culturally responsive educators to join its team. We fundamentally believe that every student can reach ambitious goals when provided a supportive academic setting, when they are surrounded by teachers who have a deep belief in their potential, and when those teachers intentionally build relationships with and connect with students’ personal goals and ambitions. We show belief in every student through setting and holding them to high expectations while building relationships. We approach rigorous learning as an activity that is responsive to students’ cultural contexts and pushes them to think critically. We seek opportunities for students to engage with and respond to the world around them - both in their immediate lives and in their broader society - while being pushed intellectually at all times.
In 2015, the Kauffman School was recognized as Missouri Charter School of the Year. In the 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18 school years, the Kauffman School earned a perfect score on its statewide Annual Performance Rating, one of only 7% of districts statewide to do so. In 2019, Teach For America recognized the Kauffman School as a School To Learn From.
Additionally, the Kauffman School became the first charter network outside of New York City to earn the top tier “Platinum” rating from the Leverage Leadership Institute, an extension of the Relay Graduate School of Education. Our school and student results demonstrate our students’ incredible brilliance, passion, creativity, and work ethic. Kauffman School students are empowered by their identities and place in the community and develop a critical consciousness of the world around them. Kauffman School staff actively partner with families to be a school, not just in the community, but of the community.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Ewing Marion Kauffman School (Kauffman School) seeks a dedicated and inspirational Director of Data. The DoD is a committed, detail-oriented individual who shares the Kauffman School belief that all students can meet high academic expectations in the right school environment. The DoD helps build this environment by identifying, implementing and managing technologies and a data infrastructure that drive successful instruction and operations. The DoD will manage the measurement portfolio of the Kauffman School including student assessment, surveys, and organization priorities. The DoD is the direct manager of Data Specialists. The DoD reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is a full-time, exempt position.
Program & Performance Management
- Design and execute progress monitoring systems to evaluate the effectiveness of key organizational priorities including instructional excellence, college readiness and persistence, and network support systems. Partner with instructional and operational leaders to design appropriate interventions, measure their impact, and identify both technical and adaptive action steps to continually improve outcomes.
- Facilitate weekly checkpoints with cross-functional teams to ensure quarterly outcomes are met; coach team members to identify highest leverage action steps and strong systems to deliver results. Partner with key instructional leads to roll up progress and set vision with the CEO.
- Identify gaps in Kauffman School outcomes and propose solutions for programmatic shifts or strategic initiatives. Identify systemic needs (reporting systems, trackers, meeting structures, roles and responsibilities) that require a new solution and work with team input to solve.
- Partner with CEO and instructional leaders to research and pilot new initiatives to inform future school models and/or improve the Kauffman School’s next five-year strategic plan.
- This role will be responsible for program management of pilot initiatives (i.e., dual credit) and strategic initiatives (i.e., AP performance, HS 2.0) through coordination of budget, external partners, instructional delivery, and operational support. Develop long-term playbooks and ownership structures for programs at scale, then coach the permanent owners on effective maintenance of the priority.
Data Team Leadership & Systems Innovation
- Directly supervise Kauffman School data team in excellent execution of the organization’s progress monitoring cycles including student assessment and culture, and the organization’s priorities and adult culture.
- Coach the managers of school data cycles to strong ownership of logistics on full suite of assessments, accurate and efficient reporting systems (Kickboard, grades, so developing schedules and course structures that allow the school to execute on our priorities, and full compliance with state and board policies.
- Ensure network-team led meeting structures (logistics planning, data days, Network/Ps), are highly effective and efficient through strong coaching of scope & sequence, agenda planning, meeting facilitation, and change management.
- Develop vision and manage the processes and resources necessary for integrating and automating EMKS data reporting. Identify areas for systems to support strong analysis and manage vendors and team members to complete projects including implementation, team investment and adoption, and continuous improvement.
Management and Leadership
- Embody and advocate the mission, vision, and strategic direction of the Kauffman School.
- Serve as a key member of the Kauffman School Leadership Team, representing the school to a variety of audiences and supporting all necessary functions for school management and success.
- Create and retain high-performing, results-driven teams through effective observation and feedback cycles and strong vision and model of excellence.
- Set and maintain excellent culture and relationships among Kauffman School leaders and between departments through consistent high-leverage feedback and facilitating reflections to yield technical and adaptive action steps.
- Accountable for the highly effective communication of all senior leadership team members through presentations of priorities, coaching clear and inspiring delivery, and ensuring that staff are invested in and executing priorities with fidelity.
End-User Training and Support
- Design and implement a plan to allow EMKS instructional staff to become informed users of EMKS systems and their data (aka “Power Users”); embed end products of EMKS educational technology into the classroom, by making it accessible and actionable for all staff members.
- Train staff on the effective use of EMKS data tools to best support student learning.
- Manage process for gathering information from instructional staff about the effectiveness and usefulness of EMKS data tools; act on feedback to continuously improve data systems.
- Participate in regular staff development meetings and make content-appropriate presentations and professional development sessions as requested by school leadership.
- Work with instructional staff to pilot relevant education and data technology in the classroom.
Building School Culture
- Believe deeply in the mission of the Kauffman School and that all children can meet high academic expectations.
- Frequently and consistently communicate the school’s mission and philosophy to students and families.
- Adhere to school academic and disciplinary protocols.
- Be personally accountable for the quality of school technology and data work.
- Exhibit the school’s values at all times when interacting with students, families, staff, and visitors.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information, with respect to both school and student level data and internal staff members.
- Embrace feedback in the spirit of constant improvement.
- Demonstrate maturity, humility, professionalism, confidence, and a strong work ethic.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
- BA/BS degree required (mathematics, engineering, education, social science, statistics or related field)
- Experience designing and implementing technology systems to support academic achievement
- Experience with managing 3rd-party vendors, and collaborating with multiple vendors to achieve a shared goal
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and reporting data associated with public education
- Experience with PowerSchool, Kickboard or other SIS/performance measurement systems
- Demonstrated knowledge with various computer information and data management systems (i.e. Microsoft Excel), in addition to general proficiency and problem solving regarding information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including listening
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others on team projects
- Ability to establish timelines and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to think creatively about complex problems
- Ability to think of both the big picture and operational details simultaneously
- Ability to multitask with ease, prioritizing appropriately
- Proven track record of delivering accurate, comprehensive results within tight deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving and superior interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Able and willing to work extended school day hours
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Kauffman School offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with relevant experience and anticipated duties and responsibilities, including comprehensive health benefits.
Interested applicants should complete a formal application through the Kauffman School Careers page at http://www.kauffmanschool.org/en/Careers/Current-Opportunities.aspx .
In your cover letter please address the following topics:
- Highlight your experience working with students, urban communities, or in an entrepreneurial environment
- Share an example or past experience where you implemented new technologies and systems at an organization, to support organizational goals. What went well with that implementation? What did not go well, and what learning did you take from that experience?
- Provide specific evidence of your alignment with the Kauffman School’s mission of "creating college graduates” and/or the Kauffman School’s PREP values (Perseverance, Results, Empathy, Passion)
The Kauffman School is an Equal Opportunity Employer, welcoming people to flourish in an open and inclusive work environment. A diverse pool of candidates is welcomed and encouraged.