KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/ .Job DescriptionThe Opportunity
KIPP Texas is seeking a Procurement Specialist to assist in the procurement of materials and services for KIPP Texas. This position may be based in Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio, Texas. The Procurement Specialist will assist with vendor contract review, lead RFP processes, and engage our external partners, contractors and subcontractors with the utmost professionalism. Additionally, the Procurement Specialist will ensure that procurement activities adhere to KIPP Texas policies and procedures, as well state and federal laws and statutes that govern such activities. Customer service is of paramount importance in this role and of equal importance as the candidate's attention to detail and buying and/or purchasing acumen. The Procurement Specialist should expect to lead discussions with a broad range of stakeholders, from early-career school-based staff to the KIPP Texas Executive Team. S/he will also partner closely with FP&A Analysts to ensure KIPP Texas' continued financial sustainability. The Finance team celebrates diversity, understanding the big picture, and always operating with a focus on what is best for our Big & Little KIPPsters.Key ResponsibilitiesThe Procurement Specialist will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Actively track shipment status & communicate internally to ensure knowledge of, and preparation for, delivery
- Maintain thorough understanding of Federal, State and local procurement laws and board policies; ensure communication to applicable stakeholders
- Assist with the preparation of bid documents, including notice and instruction to bidders, specifications, and proposal forms
- Build trust and nurture ongoing internal relationships; this is critical to understanding the needs of the organization and ensuring willingness to engage and provide information, as requested
- Contact vendors to check on supply and equipment availability, invoices, purchase orders, contracts, and other issues, as directed
- Detect and resolve problems with incorrect orders, invoices, and shipments
- Collaborate with Accounts Payable & Purchasing to facilitate the processing of Purchase Orders and ensure proper routing of invoices; verify Purchase Orders for accuracy and required detail
- Collaborate with Financial Compliance to support in its efforts to source and maintain required vendor information
- Collaborate with Financial Planning & Analysis Analysts to verify available funds prior to undertaking sourcing activities
- Ensure a high level of customer service to meet the needs and requirements of the organization
- Project management and real-time tracking of status of all in-process and upcoming work streams
- Support in the review of contracts with regards to legal and business terms, adherence to procurement policy, and identifying opportunities for cost efficiencies; while important to be able to zoom into the details, must have the ability to zoom out to see the overall impact to the organization
- Travel to KIPP Texas locations across the state to facilitate discussions & lead sourcing events, e.g. RFPs
- Actively seek out professional development opportunities
- Ad hoc tasks requested by the Senior Director of Procurement & Financial Sustainability, as needed
Additional InformationCompensation and Benefits
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, or a related field from an accredited institution
- Minimum of one year of work experience in a fast-paced, high stress environment
- Ability to work independently, with minimal ongoing assistance
- Ability to analyze and organize a complex filing system of bid-related documentation
- Diverse experience valued (purchasing, legal, finance, accounting, military, consulting)
- Positive and professional demeanor, with an exemplary customer service mindset
- Strong attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to work with various working styles and different personality types at all levels of management
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong self-initiative and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and/or projects in a short and compressed time window
- Strong understanding of contract terms & structures
- Strong understanding of laws, policies, and procedures related to the procurement of goods and services
As a full time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices, including medical, dental, and vision options, as well as life insurance, fertility, and disability plans starting as low as $25/month.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.